RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

DrivePop Cloud Backup $49.99 Lifetime for 1 PC

awraynor

@PCDoc. I looked at them when they had the BitsDuJour offer. I waved off for the same reasons when I saw their lack

of history and PayPal only. What kind of business doesn't accept VISA? One that doesn't plan on being around long?

jmwills

What kind of businesses don't accept American Express?  Plenty.

Dave

Good points guys and legitimate concerns.  I'm going to use it for a while and let you know.  Because that's what I need, one more cloud service!

ikon

@PCDoc. I looked at them when they had the BitsDuJour offer. I waved off for the same reasons when I saw their lack

of history and PayPal only. What kind of business doesn't accept VISA? One that doesn't plan on being around long?

Costco?

pcdoc

Yep, it really gives the appearance of a garage outfit.  I am not saying they are but when you read their propaganda it sounds like you are putting your data (and plenty of personal information) into fort knox.  But then you see their bizarre check out process that completes with PayPal only and it changes your perspective.  If they are reading this, (Dave, you should talk to them) I would say 3 things.  First, improve the check out process, creating a domain, user name, password first (passwords do not work with symbols either), then creating the account with another password is weird.  Secondly, do not make your check out seem like I am buying from EBAY.  Get the credit card , secure certs, etc, and lastly, talk more about how your encryption works, where/how the password is stored etc.  Convince me you have better security than I do, or your competitors.  Tell me why you are not going to get hacked like the DropBox that you are not storing my passwords in text file like many other companies did/are.

Dave

To be honest with you I have been reconsidering the information that I keep online no matter who the provider is.  Maybe we should talk about this on the podcast too.  I'm trying to diversify my information and create new ways to keep sensitive information safe and not floating around the world's circuits.  Photos, MP3's, I could care less about and that is what I choose to store on drivepop, crashplan, and copy.com.

I think the "garage outfit" and "propaganda" comments are a bit overboard.  I didn't get that feeling at all.  I think your on the mark with the payment system though.  They should offer more choices. Visa/MC, and PayPal is fine.  I don't mind the PayPal interface because they have protected me before as a consumer and I don't feel like I'm typing in my credit card number and wondering if my card is secure or not.  When we hear of companies getting hacked we hear of CC#'s being compromised.  So that doesn't bother me.

I'm using it as a redundant cloud service.  I think i'm overkill in the amount of diversity I'm using but that's ok with me. It's fun for me and I enjoy it.  If it was horribly expensive I probably wouldn't have as much cloud redundancy.  I trust my data on this and crashplan more than that free space I earned on copy.com.

ikon

I'm with you Dave on the cloud storage concerns. I have bandwidth caps so online backup is not really viable for me anyway, but my other concern is having my, and my family's, info in the hands of a single 3rd party. I differ from you, perhaps, in that I don't even want personal photos online. For me, they're part of my personal-and-private info, to be shared only with other members of my extended family, and friends.

vinylfreak

I bought in on the 5 pc family plan , the night of the podcast.

Me personally , I prefer PayPal. 

Its always my first choice when I purchase anything online.

With my two factor authentication PayPal key , I just feel its more secure.

Just my 2 cents.

ikon

I, too, have the PayPal key. It's too bad they stopped issuing them. My only concern with PP is if their CC dB gets compromised. However, I assume my CC company will step in and disallow any questionable purchases and/or credit me for any that do occur.

Dave

I'm with you Dave on the cloud storage concerns. I have bandwidth caps so online backup is not really viable for me anyway, but my other concern is having my, and my family's, info in the hands of a single 3rd party. I differ from you, perhaps, in that I don't even want personal photos online. For me, they're part of my personal-and-private info, to be shared only with other members of my extended family, and friends.

I just don't think the bad guys are interested in my photos and MP3's.  Trust me, there is no making money off of my photos!  I feel differently about my documents though.  There is some personal information in those and I don't want to share them with the world.

Question for you.  There are companies like Gladinet, Otixo, and SME Storage that aggregate and work with all cloud vendors.  Is there a company that could take a document, encrypt it, break it into pieces, and put a piece on different services?  Then, when you want the document back, it would piece it all back together?