RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

DrivePop Cloud Backup $49.99 Lifetime for 1 PC

Dave

True.  Live Drive isn't going anywhere IMO.  I guess that is, unless we crash them!

Dave

Yep, I put that in my post on the blog. No secret there. If DrivePop goes away your account and data is still on Live Drive. As far as I could tell, you can't get this lifetime deal from Live Drive directly.

ecthomason

No Linux or Synology app? boo.  If DrivePop folds then my data is still on LiveDrive but will I be paying them a lot more for it, and will I access it?

jmwills

Map your Linux and Synology data drives to a PC and start backing up.

Dave

A simple search of Live Drive and Linux should help the Linux guys.  I found a few articles.  Synology might be the limiting factor as well.  Who knows.  I can't answer the question on what happens if DrivePop folds.  I was told the data is safe on Live Drive and yes, the billing might change to their model. 

I can just tell you what I thought when I found this service.  I paid $99 for a lifetime license.  If that lifetime is 3 to 5 years then it is totally worth it.  Honestly, 1 to 2 years would be.  I think the risk vs. reward here is pretty good.  As always, I have 3 copies of my data in other places.

hopester

Live Drive seems to had a lot of bad press from users over the last year when I did a search, but as people only tend to post when things go wrong its hard to judge...

Think I will sit this one out and see how you guys get on ;)

Dave

I can understand that. I saw some write ups about them and I tried to make it very clear that it's a backup service and not a storage or archival service.  I think when people confuse those two things it can go horribly wrong.  I'm still going on risk vs reward and this is a last resort method for me.  I hope to never need it but for the price it can't be beat.

awraynor

Just remember, that "lifetime" means the life of the company so let's hope they do well.

Yes, jmwills, yes.

Found this on the web...

DrivePop is just reselling LiveDrive?

http://www.livedrive.com/ForResellers

Also offered a similar deal here and it was around $60 lifetime then too:

http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/drivepop-online-backup

pcdoc

I was about the hit buy but stopped.  Great deal however I am a bit concerned about the fact it is a new company.  I painfully remember what happen with DropBox and decided I would not yet take the plunge till there has been more information.  Domain registered in April and they only take PayPal.   This is a bit concerning.