RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

DrivePop Cloud Backup $49.99 Lifetime for 1 PC

jmwills

Kind of negates the need to have additional PC's, right?

Dave

You mean the additional license to backup other pc's? 

jmwills

Seems to me to be that way.  Route everything to one location and backup that location.  Or at least that works for me.

Someone did say that if you have inactivity for over 30 days, your backups are deleted.

g725s

"file versioning (up to 30 files)"

what does this mean exactly?  How many file types you can backup?  If so, would this cover a typical Windows 7 or 8 complete backup?

Dave

Think of a Word Document.  If you make a major change to a document and you find yourself needing to revert back to before you made the changes you can with this service.  You could revert to the document you save yesterday, for example, and undo all the changes you made today.  They hold 30 versions.

jmwills

File versioning means if you upload/backup the same file, they are keeping the last 30 copies, basically one month.  I saw that and really didn't think about it.

Your WHS does basically the same thing by using Volume Shadow copies.

Suppose you work on a document and it gets backed up, and three days later you make substantial changes but would like to revert back.  You go to the web interface and retrieve the copy from "x number of days ago"

Edit:  I think Dave and I posted as the same time.  If you don't have Shadow Copies enabled locally for at least your Documents, you might want to look at doing so.

Dave

The software will not cover you if you need to do a bare metal restore.  It's mostly for backing up data. Docs, MP3's, etc.  It will backup programs and program data but it has some settings that will not backup temp data, IE cache, etc.  It also defaults to not backup ISO's and EXE's although you can change that in the settings.

jmwills

Here's the way I see this working.  We all use WHS to backup data (or at least most do) and also backup clients for bare metal restores.  Nothing changes there.

This product allows you to now backup your data to their cloud with encryption.  Now, there's nothing stopping you from backup up the client restores to their cloud either.  This option would give you to rebuild the local infrastructure in the case of a natural disaster.

You could rebuild the server, restore the data, restore the client backups and then restore the clients.  This is the extreme but if you only need it one time, then it's worth the hassle of setting it up.

Dave

I'm trying to verify a couple of questions I have about the service and the 1 license.  I'll post everything I find so you will know.

I went with unlimited licenses so I don't have to worry about it but i still have questions.

jmwills

Just remember, that "lifetime" means the life of the company so let's hope they do well.