RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

DrivePop Cloud Backup $49.99 Lifetime for 1 PC

g725s

Does this deal have a limit on the amount of data you can store?  Could I backup my whole Windows Home Server 2011 sever there?

timekills

it says unlimited storage. I'll test that out as my CrashPlan backup is expiring soon so I'll be migrating ~4 TB over.

P.S. - I went in for the $99 deal Dave, using your link. Thanks!

One "caveat". This is for backup only, not for file sharing or web posting (ala DropBox or Copy.com) They do provide that service but it is ~$110/year and is limited to 512GB at that price. I.E. You can access and download the files from anywhere, but you have to be logged into your account to do it.

jmwills

Signed up for the one PC plan and posted to Facebook with the HSS link.  Hopefully Dave will get a few pennies off this.

schoondoggy

I went with the $99 deal as well. I almost went for the $49 deal to back up my server, but then it hit me, this is a lifetime deal. Who know how many other servers or devices I may want to back up separately in the future.

jmwills

I just wanted one entry and exit point.  Everything backs up to the server so I backup the server.  Easier for me.

timekills

I went with the $99 deal as well. I almost went for the $49 deal to back up my server, but then it hit me, this is a lifetime deal. Who know how many other servers or devices I may want to back up separately in the future.

Exactly. I can back up my stuff here in Iraq and back up stuff when I get home as well.

Only concern I have right now is there is a separate $79.99 fee for NAS backup. Presumably that means I can't backup anything on a networked drive. Not a problem form my WHS, as everything is local storage via a RAID card, but I've been strongly considering migrating to my ReadyNAS Pro as my primary storage and I'm concerned that it won't be able to be backed up. There is a Linux capability (ReadyNAS uses a X86 Debian based OS), but it requires the much more expensive backup solution.

I haven't even installed the software yet, so not sure how it will work. Anyone try it with a networked mapped drive, or even better just via network name? (i.e. //NAS/Directory)

Dave

Thanks guys.  I'll try to get all the questions answered.  I found in their TOS the limit to their "Unlimited."

There is a limit of 5TB for any single external drive including NAS devices and USB drives.

Now, does that mean you can do multiple instances of 5TB with the family plan? I'm not sure.  I'm no where near this much data on my CrashPlan though so not real worried about it.

I'll try a network share real quick.  I installed on my WHS2011.

jmwills

Initially the software sees the default Windows folders (Music, Pictures, etc) but you can browse for more as I did to add the folders on my RAID array, selected the folders I wanted and started the backup.

emailed one of my buddies there in the IZ and he said their whole office had signed up.

Dave

I just mapped a drive from my WHS to my Diskstation and it shows up under "Manage Backups" in the LiveDrive software. 

Just for reference.  We know that unlimited is never unlimited right?  From CrashPlan's Terms:

Code 42 reserves the right in the future, in its sole discretion, to set commercially reasonable data storage limits (i.e. 10 TB) on all CrashPlan+ Unlimited accounts.

They don't state 10 TB is the ceiling but say EXAMPLE: 10 TB.  I think 10 is more than reasonable.  I'm at 650GB and sometimes feel guilty for using so much space.