RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP EX490/X510 OS - WHS1 or WHS2011 or... WSS2012?

AVsonyfan

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• AVsonyfan

Top Posters In This Topic

I think here is the wrong side of everywhere! :huh:

Did look at location but only the Huntsville, Alabama bit and figured you were out west of me, didn't notice you were on tour... ;)

You have to make the best choices for your own situation of course. For me, Bare Metal Restore of my client PCs is really important. I only use WHS Client Backup to back up the OS; no data is backed up using it.

Hmm, now you put it that way, I can see it makes a lot of sense.  I used to make a Ghost image of the system once built to usable level, but this could be a more elegant way to automate it.  A few laptops and desktops, at least until my TechNet subscription expires... boo hoo :blink:

Um, on my early points.... would you recommend 4GB for memory upgrade, possibly even a CPU upgrade?

Can I ask you two gurus which OS you would put on these two systems?

For BMR, WHS2011 is really hard to beat, cause it's only $50. The only downside is if you run Win8 clients that use UEFI/GPT boot drives. I'm having to deal with that now with our 2 Surface Pros. The patch for WHS2011 does help though.

I would recommend at least 4GB of RAM for servers. A CPU upgrade never hurts, but you have to balance the cost against what it would cost to simply replace the entire unit.

For BMR, WHS2011 is really hard to beat, cause it's only $50. The only downside is if you run Win8 clients that use UEFI/GPT boot drives. I'm having to deal with that now with our 2 Surface Pros. The patch for WHS2011 does help though.

I would recommend at least 4GB of RAM for servers. A CPU upgrade never hurts, but you have to balance the cost against what it would cost to simply replace the entire unit.

I think I will take images of the WHS1 drives and then give WHS2011 and WSS2012 a go on the X510.  Just for the hell of it, and to see what it looks like but most likely revert to WSE2012 based on yours and others recommendations.

WHS2011 is £48 on Amazon UK.  So much for a decent exchange rate! :o

It seems like finding a supplier of a suitable 4GB DIMM in the UK is going to be tricky...  thought it might be easier to find a pair in 8GB pair but they all seem to be ECC memory....

Yes it is indeed, however I think putting the £48 towards another (and final) year of a TechNet subscription will be a better investment.  Quite why they are ceasing it still puzzles me, best get my name on that petition to keep it going or create a cheap MSDN equivalent....

Petition?

I believe I know why they're ending the subsctiption service: it's simply because pirates buy tons of TechNet Subscriptions and then sell the licence keys online, thus making huge profits. MS tried to counter the piracy by cutting way back on the number of licence keys per subscription. I gather it didn't really work. Next, MS tried switching the subscriptions to 'dynamic', meaning that the licences are only valid while you have a valid subscription. They didn't seem to give this much of a chance from my point of view, but I guess it wasn't working either. Maybe the backend overhead was too burdensome. Thus endeth the subscriptions... :(