RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP EX490/X510 OS - WHS1 or WHS2011 or... WSS2012?

AVsonyfan

Hello!

I have read thru a few articles but could not find any mention of someone trying Windows Storage Server 2012 on an HP MediaSmart unit?  Apologies if I have missed it somehow....

I have both of these units which are currently running WHS1 PP3 but have been considering the possible upgrade of one or both of them to a newer OS.  I realise that WHS1 is not really support any longer but that does not really bother me too much. 

Just wondering if anyone had tried out WSS 2012 as on paper it sounds like an updated WHS alternative?  I guess the general concensus on here is WHS 2011 as it is a newer supported (for the time being) OS.....

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• AVsonyfan

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think WSS2012 has Client PC backup, right? If it doesn't, I don't think it really qualifies as a WHS2011 successor. WSE2012 is a successor.

Is the 495 running on an x64 processor?  If not, you can rule out any version of 2012.

Thanks for the concise replies, ikon and jmwills :D

I had a quick read of the datasheets for both products and you are quite correct.  Client PC backup is not a component of WSS but WSE.  Not sure whether I would miss that though as all my data resides on a NAS and a full rebuild of a Windows PC is never a bad thing!

My thinking was that WSS would make it more of a pure "NAS" appliance but will have to read more of a comparison.  Not sure how it would compare against the Synology and Thecus units I already have.  The idea I called a plan was to perhaps put WHS2011 on the EX490 and try WSS2012 on the X510, but thought I would ask for advice on here first B)

The X510 is stock but the EX490 has an upgraded CPU from the original Celeron.
I am fairly sure both CPUs are capable of supporting a 64-bit OS (from Intel ARK).

EX490 - MediaSmart Server
E5400 (2.7GHz)
2GB RAM

X510 - StorageWorks Data Vault
E5200 (2.5GHz)
2GB RAM

I'm guessing the memory is rather light for a proper OS to run properly, so will have to have a look at what upgrades are possible...

Weigh the cost of your upgrades versus getting an N54L Microserver.  Your only upgrade there would be additional memory.

You have to make the best choices for your own situation of course. For me, Bare Metal Restore of my client PCs is really important. I only use WHS Client Backup to back up the OS; no data is backed up using it.

After doing a fresh install on Windows and doing all the updates, and installing my programs, I create a baseline backup. This is a backup without bitrot or other deleterious effects. It's the backup I restore after a hardware failure, malware infection, corruption from a bad update, installation of a bad driver or program, etc. It saves me many, many hours of installation and updating over an install from scratch. That makes WHS a vital tool in my environment.

Weigh the cost of your upgrades versus getting an N54L Microserver.  Your only upgrade there would be additional memory.

Ah if it were only that simple.  I already have an N54L MicroServer (thanks to HPs generous cashback offer), which I have earmarked for another project to create an ESXi cluster for the VCP certification along with my N40L.  :o

(I couldn't find a suitably embarrassed emoticon for someone with far too much hardware!)

I could but I picked up an N40L last month with 16GB already installed in it.  I'm also on the wrong side of the Atlantic!