RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
penndennis

Which 3Tb Drive

penndennis

Hello to All,

I'm considering one of the following drives and would very much welcome any advice or recommendations. I'm tending to favour the Toshiba (former Hitachi). It's the cheapest, offers a 2yr. warranty although when comparing specs (NAS24x7's) it's 3 to 4 dBels louder and uses a little more power; on average 2.0 watts when idle or r/w and 0.4 watts when in standby/sleep. It's average seek times (R&W) are also maginally faster than the ST3000DM001.

Seagate ST3000VN000 NAS24x7 (3yr. warranty £116.00)
Seagate ST3000DM001 Desktop (1yr. warranty £95.00)
Toshiba DT01ACA300 Desktop (2 yr. warranty £85.00)
Western Digital Red WD30EFRX NAS24x7 (3 yr. warranty £107.00)

I propose to locate it in the ODD tray and connect it to a

SY-PEX40040 Syba 1 Port SATA and 1 Port eSATA 6Gbps PCI-Express x1 2.0 Card

This card works well under the Mod Bios and it can boot from either of it's ports. Under the orignal Bios the card prevented any of the MB's drive ports from being recognised.

Thanks in advance
Kind Regards,
Penndennis.

schoondoggy

I have been using the Toshiba's. No issues so far. All of the drives you have listed are good choices.

ikon

I'm not 100% certain, but I suspect, of the ones listed, the Red drive would run the coolest.

oj88

It'll be a toss between the Seagate and WD NAS edition drives. 3 years warranty + designed for 24/7 operation... either one is perfect.

It just boils down to brand preference I suppose.

I got three of the 3TB WD Reds and they're solid. I'd probably considered the Seagate but it just came out recently.

Mr_Smartepants

Seagate ST3000VN000 NAS24x7 (3yr. warranty £116.00)

Seagate ST3000DM001 Desktop (1yr. warranty £95.00)

I propose to locate it in the ODD tray 

I have both of those drives and the "red" NAS drives run both cooler/quieter but the "desktop" drives are marginally faster.  Your choice, but I'd recommend the NAS drives since the speed difference will not be noticeable across the network.

Also I would never recommend that you put a platter hard drive in the ODD of the microserver unless you put additional cooling for the drive or replace the 5 1/4 bay cover for a filter to allow cool air to flow across the drive.  The ODD gets zero airflow.  I found that out the hard way when I went to check on my server to find the stock 250GB drive (in the ODD) blistering hot.  I've since replaced it with an SSD which requires very minimal cooling but I plan on installing a filtered bay cover just to ease my mind.

ikon

Also I would never recommend that you put a platter hard drive in the ODD of the microserver unless you put additional cooling for the drive or replace the 5 1/4 bay cover for a filter to allow cool air to flow across the drive.  The ODD gets zero airflow.  I found that out the hard way when I went to check on my server to find the stock 250GB drive (in the ODD) blistering hot.  I've since replaced it with an SSD which requires very minimal cooling but I plan on installing a filtered bay cover just to ease my mind.

This was 1 reason I mentioned about Red drives running cool. I put 1 in the ODD bay of an N40L and it actually did not get hot. I was pretty impressed. BTW, I ended up reconfiguring the N40L and the Red drive is no longer there. However, the unit was on 24x7 for a few days and the Red seemed to be OK. I'm not saying I recommend this; it just seemed to me that it is do-able if desired. I agree with you, an SSD is a better option in that slot.

Jason

I too went with Red drives when building my always-on DIY 2012E box. Have 8 of them in a RAID for media storage and they run cool to the touch. As mentioned, I was motivated by capacity and operating temps more than access speed. By no means are they speed demons but are more than adequate for HD playback over a gigabit LAN. Though they have a great warranty, I went ahead and bought 2 spares as a backup to minimize downtime. Worst case I'll repurpose those spares in both systems.

jmwills

Isn't WD making the Toshiba drives now?

schoondoggy

WD bought Hitachi's drive business. Toshiba 3.5" drives are made by Hitachi. Toshiba 2.5" and SSD's are designed and manufactured by Toshiba.

jmwills

So, that's a "yes"?