RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Home server connectivity

pirsmark

I've been streaming to a linksys WET610N connected to an asus o!play downstairs from a Linksys WRT610N that is upstairs. It's been working fine for me, but I wonder if it could be better so I've been thinking of trying ethernet over powerline adapters. Might they be an option? Not sure if they would even work in your country, they seem to mount the wall sockets sideways in your picture.  :) 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• jmwills

• ikon

• oj88

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been streaming to a linksys WET610N connected to an asus o!play downstairs from a Linksys WRT610N that is upstairs. It's been working fine for me, but I wonder if it could be better so I've been thinking of trying ethernet over powerline adapters. Might they be an option? Not sure if they would even work in your country, they seem to mount the wall sockets sideways in your picture.  :)

I'm not the OP.

But I may have inadvertently hijacked the thread. :P

Just my 2 cents but, in my experience, Powerline Networking is a big bag of hurt. I've tried 3 or 4 brands. The issue was always performance. If you're lucky, you might plug the units into the right AC outlets and get reasonable performance. More often, you're not that lucky.

I'm not an EE (JM where are you), but here's my understanding of one issue that was identified over time. I think I've read it being called the 'phase bridging' problem. In most homes, the electrical panel has 2 columns. These 2 columns each have their own phase. If you plug one Powerline NIC into an outlet that's connected to the left side of the electrical panel, and another NIC into an outlet that's connected to the right side of the panel, very poor performance will be the likely result. I haven't used one, but I gather the manufacturers are making special 'bridging units' that help overcome this issue. I have no idea how well they work. I didn't pursue it further because, even when the units are working at their best, I found the performance lackluster.

I've used these just one time while in France and they seemed to work, reasonably well, at least what we had in Italy.  I would never use them for my full time solution.

I agree about the powerline adapters.  The only technology worse than Wifi.  That said, I use them successfully for IP cams as that s all they can handle.

I agree about the powerline adapters.  The only technology worse than Wifi.  That said, I use them successfully for IP cams as that s all they can handle.

A bit sad really. It would be so much nicer and easier if we could get reliable gigabit or faster speeds using our AC wiring. Not to mention, it would revolutionise internet connectivity and cable TV if the power companies could use their cabling to deliver services to us. Quite a few years back, some power companies did experiment with this idea, but it never went anywhere that I could tell.

I would rather spend money for some proper Cat6 cabling than using powerline adapters. The advertised speed on those things were measured under ideal conditions. Even so, the actual throughput is usually way way below the raw bitrate. It becomes even worse in the real world where you have a dozen appliances at home making all sorts of electrical noise, further lowering the real data throughput. These things also cost a lot for the little they can do.

Though, I acknowledge that there will be situations that PLAs would fit the bill. But, I wouldn't use them as part of my network backbone.

oj88, I concur completely. I still have 2 units in my basement that will likely never get used.

Put them to use with IP cams, they can handle that...