• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• jmwills

• ikon

• oj88

Top Posters In This Topic

In your diagram you only show an Ethernet connection to the TV. Is all the video playing through that network link?

oj88 how is the Intel NAS working out?

Slooowww... It was one of those 1st gen storage things that Intel ventured into. It contains a backup of my critical files stored in WHS. i use Crashplan with the Intel NAS configured as a destination (workaround using mapped network drives and symbolic links).

Edited by oj88

In your diagram you only show an Ethernet connection to the TV. Is all the video playing through that network link?

I've got two main sources of media: WHS and Netflix. The TV is currently "region-locked" to my country so it doesn't have all the nice bells and whistles that a US or UK model has (ie. Netflix app). I'm actually working on changing that by figuring out how to access the hidden Service Menu with a Harmony remote. But that's another story.

For now, the TV is just wired in as it seems that watching Youtube streamed off of my (wireless) Android phone for example is a lot more stable compared to when both devices are on wireless.

Edited by oj88

So you're not really using it as a TV; it's more of a multi-purpose monitor?

Sorry, didn't quite get what you meant. The TV also gets broadcast feeds through a satellite STB (Cignal HD). Didn't bother including it in the drawing as it's a separate system from my network.

OK, got it. I guess the thing I'm really wondering about is whether your TV is able to play video through the Ethernet link. In my system, I can pull video from my WHS2011 over the LAN, but it always gets converted to a 'normal' video connection, such as HDMI, S-video, component, or composite before it enters the TV. I was wondering how you handle that.

OK, got it. I guess the thing I'm really wondering about is whether your TV is able to play video through the Ethernet link. In my system, I can pull video from my WHS2011 over the LAN, but it always gets converted to a 'normal' video connection, such as HDMI, S-video, component, or composite before it enters the TV. I was wondering how you handle that.

Ok, your question is getting a bit clearer now. English isn't my primary language so please do bear with me.

Currently, I can play certain files directly on the TV from WHS2011 using LG's proprietary smart TV GUI interface. These are the more popular jpg, avi, divx/xvid, etc. but it will not play mkv or any of those exotic file formats. But since I have a Win8+XBMC HTPC, the smart TV file limitation didn't quite matter.

The XBMC interface was so perfect that I've essentially forgotten about the smart TV features and only started playing around with it recently. From those tests, I found out that it appears to support Plex. I fired up a Hyper-V VM of WinSvr2k12 and installed Plex. Initial test results indicates that the TV can show the metadata and thumbnails but can't play any of the videos. I've gotten a bit busy since then so I've put further testing temporarily on park.

To be frank, I could care less about the smart TV features unless I can get Netflix and eventually, Plex to work on it. XBMC provides a more polished GUI so I'm fine with it... though, at the expense of a slightly higher electricity bill.

Popcorn?

1048331_10152035263937926_221536678_o_zp

Hello

I would kindly ask you for some help.

Problem:
I live in a house with 2 floors. My wish is to make home server to store data, make backups, streaming media…
In first floor I have two TVs in two rooms and also the same in second floor. I have one desktop computer in each floor and 3 laptops.
My wishes are:
1.    to be able to watch HD movies from server computer to all TVs (have one disc in server with multimedia that everybody have access to it)
2.    have 4 more discs to make backup data from desktop and laptop (one disc access only me, another other users... - private and job data)

So is this possible to do wireless without cables? 
If it is not can you tell me how to do it as I am not really expert?

Thanks a lot!
Mark

Mark,

Yes this is possible but may not be practical.  In order to stream the proper bandwidth to do what you want, you will have to spend a bit of money on WiFi equipment that may or may not give you what you want.  I had the same problem with the two floors and tried a bunch of different ways to stream HD content and finally gave up.  It certainly is technically possible but I would first examine the possibility of running a single wire as it would be cheaper to pay someone to run a cable than to invest in wifi stuff that might work one day and not the next.  If that is your only choice, then at go with an AC router at 5Ghz with at least 2-3 access points and you might pull it off.  I would plan on $300-400 for the project.

Home Network

http://thedocsworld.net/home-network/

Ok, your question is getting a bit clearer now. English isn't my primary language so please do bear with me.

Currently, I can play certain files directly on the TV from WHS2011 using LG's proprietary smart TV GUI interface. These are the more popular jpg, avi, divx/xvid, etc. but it will not play mkv or any of those exotic file formats. But since I have a Win8+XBMC HTPC, the smart TV file limitation didn't quite matter.

The XBMC interface was so perfect that I've essentially forgotten about the smart TV features and only started playing around with it recently. From those tests, I found out that it appears to support Plex. I fired up a Hyper-V VM of WinSvr2k12 and installed Plex. Initial test results indicates that the TV can show the metadata and thumbnails but can't play any of the videos. I've gotten a bit busy since then so I've put further testing temporarily on park.

To be frank, I could care less about the smart TV features unless I can get Netflix and eventually, Plex to work on it. XBMC provides a more polished GUI so I'm fine with it... though, at the expense of a slightly higher electricity bill.

Popcorn?

1048331_10152035263937926_221536678_o_zp

The popcorn is a nice addition, I knew there was someithg missing on my setup... :D   Nice setup....