RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Home server connectivity

pirsmark

Hello

I would kindly ask you for some help.

Problem:

I live in a house with 2 floors. My wish is to make home server to store data, make backups, streaming media…

In first floor I have two TVs in two rooms and also the same in second floor. I have one desktop computer in each floor and 3 laptops.

My wishes are:

1.    to be able to watch HD movies from server computer to all TVs (have one disc in server with multimedia that everybody have access to it)

2.    have 4 more discs to make backup data from desktop and laptop (one disc access only me, another other users... - private and job data)

So is this possible to do wireless without cables? 

If it is not can you tell me how to do it as I am not really expert?

Thanks a lot!

Mark

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• jmwills

• ikon

• oj88

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Mark,

I think you will be okay as long as you use a very good N series router or quite possibly get a Gig switch, connect the server to it, and then convert an N series router into an access point.

Make sense?  The ultimate goal is to get the high I/O users like the server away from a SOHO router (B/G).

If WiFi is the only way, I'd get two wireless-N AP's and put one on each floor. That should give you enough bandwidth headroom. This is assuming that your wireless clients (including the TVs support wireless-N) and you still need to run a cable from the AP's to your switch, though.

FWIW, wired gigabit is still best.

Edited by oj88

ok thanks to all for the replys!

Can you tell me what kind of server to build (hardware spec) and which router and switch do you suggest?

If WiFi is the only way, I'd get two wireless-N AP's and put one on each floor. That should give you enough bandwidth headroom. This is assuming that your wireless clients (including the TVs support wireless-N) and you still need to run a cable from the AP's to your switch, though.

FWIW, wired gigabit is still best.

How are you envisioning getting video to the TVs?

How are you envisioning getting video to the TVs?

Depends on the OP's TVs. I use a combination of WD TV Live SMPs and HTPCs. If he has a WiFi-capable Smart TV, it may have the ability to receive streams from, say, a Plex Media Server. If so, he won't need a separate media player.

This is my home network. I really prefer a properly wired LAN over wireless for static clients. My WiFi is primarily just for mobile (low-bandwidth) clients and the wireless cameras.

HomeNetworkRev1_zps2eaf8ac6.png

Edited by oj88

Nice diagram. Thanks. Can I assume you are using Play To a fair bit?

Thanks. No, never really found a practical use for it. Anyway, each connected player and HTPC gets media directly from my homeserver. And not until recently, also from Netflix.