RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
geek-accountant

New CrashPlan Question

geek-accountant

Question, are my encrypted backups to Crashplan being stored or decrypted by the NSA?  Not that I have anything to hide, but they also have no right to the data!  

jmwills

The three letter boys and girls can decrypt ANYTHING you can encrypt.  I think these recent revelations will be a big deterrent to cloud storage for SMB's and a shot in the arm to people who want to service this sector with products such as 2012 Essentials.

ikon

Well, I'm not as convinced about the "ANYTHING" part. A few of my contacts have indicated over the years that some of the agencies are pretty concerned about the level of encryption available to the general public, particularly with it being available to 'the nasties'. One guy told me they're working hard to come up with a quantum computer. If they do, or have, managed to do that then it's a complete game changer: i.e. encryption as we know it is dead.

geek-accountant

I can tell you this jmwills, any thoughts of putting any more of our data in the cloud that we have too by using the internet are gone within my company.  We scrapped a deal we were working on with CrashPlan to be our offiste backup and any other thoughts are now dead.

Instead, we built our own CrashPlan server, store it in another location we own and send the data through a VPN connection.  Not saying it was all because of the NSA, but I will say we don't want our data in the hands of someone who will jump every time the NSA comes knocking.  They want our data, come with a warrant AND we will know about it.  I think these companies are lieing to their users about how in bed they are with the NSA and so called law enforcement.

A month into E-Verify we had Homeland Security come and do an audit.  Are you kidding me, a month in and you are auditing us.  A year into a program they would be running would still be a mess, yet the come audit us a month in.  Jokes on you, we already had it up and running and all the bugs worked out.  We gave them pdf's of the reports they wanted.  :)

I asked CrashPlan about it, but I don't think they will be sending me an answer.

ikon

You make some good points GA, and I think you took a wise approach. Another issue with 3rd party off site backup is that you actually don't know where your data is stored, including, what country it's stored in. You only know where they tell you the data is stored. What if your data was actually being shipped off to some other country where the laws are such that the gov't really can get at any of it any time they want. You may worry about USA agencies; how bout some other, less-democratic countries.

awraynor

Well, I'm not as convinced about the "ANYTHING" part. A few of my contacts have indicated over the years that some of the agencies are pretty concerned about the level of encryption available to the general public, particularly with it being available to 'the nasties'. One guy told me they're working hard to come up with a quantum computer. If they do, or have, managed to do that then it's a complete game changer: i.e. encryption as we know it is dead.

Heck, I find it funny with how much trouble law enforcement agencies have getting into the iPhone, or so they say?

Pancakes

Heck, I find it funny with how much trouble law enforcement agencies have getting into the iPhone, or so they say?

I imagine the same level of tech is not available to all the different agencies 

ikon

I imagine the same level of tech is not available to all the different agencies 

That's definitely true. However, on the other side, sometimes people credit 3-letter agencies with almost 'magical' powers that don't exist in reality.

Pancakes

That's definitely true. However, on the other side, sometimes people credit 3-letter agencies with almost 'magical' powers that don't exist in reality.

Yeah, I keep seeing people quoting how they can get through PGP, however there doesn't seem to be any proof what-so-ever that this was ever even said, someone just made it up from what I can see

jmwills

Okay...keep thinking that and you will be safe.  :ph34r: