RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N54L - allowable memory configuration

three_jeeps

I thought this would be a simple thing to find, but searching the HP documentation and quite a number of google searches turned up nothing, so here goes:

1) Does the N54L work with one 8gb (or 4gb) stick - assuming ECC memory?

2) Does the N54L support mixing various memory sizes, e.g. one 8 GB stick and one 1 GB stick?

And a related question, sort of:

1) HOw does the RAID1 support in BIOS work?  Some explaination of this feature from HP would be nice.  For example, if RAID1 turned on in the BIOS, do all disk writes to disk0 automatically get mirrored in disk1?

Is the mirroring done on a per physical volume basis? a per logical volume basis? etc.

For example, if disk 0 is a 1tb with three, 333gb partitions and disk 1 is a 1tb with two 500 gb partitions, can I mirror d0,part0 (333gb) to d1.part0 (with 500gb)? 

Somewhere is documented how the bios mirroring works, and if a full sw RAID1 implementation, the config/operation is documented in the RAID software package (e.g. mdadm)

Thanks for any pointers...

J

Best practices would tell you to go with 2x2,1 x 4, 2x4, 1x8, or 2x8.  It has never been a good practice to mismatch memory such a 1x8 + 1x1

And a related question, sort of:

1) HOw does the RAID1 support in BIOS work?  Some explaination of this feature from HP would be nice.  For example, if RAID1 turned on in the BIOS, do all disk writes to disk0 automatically get mirrored in disk1?

Is the mirroring done on a per physical volume basis? a per logical volume basis? etc.

For example, if disk 0 is a 1tb with three, 333gb partitions and disk 1 is a 1tb with two 500 gb partitions, can I mirror d0,part0 (333gb) to d1.part0 (with 500gb)? 

Somewhere is documented how the bios mirroring works, and if a full sw RAID1 implementation, the config/operation is documented in the RAID software package (e.g. mdadm)

Thanks for any pointers...

J

If you mirror using the BIOS or via a separate RIAD controller card then the mirroring is done at the physical volume level, the operating system (Windows or whatever) doesn't see two separate drives just the one. When Windows makes a write to the volume, this is made to both disks at the same time.

If you wanted to do it from within Windows (a software raid setup), then Windows' disk manager will see two physical drives which you can partition however you want and mirror just those partitions you want to. The partitions need to be the same size, if you try to mirror two dissimilar sized partitions, you will end up with a logical mirrored drive no bigger then the smaller partition and the rest of the space will be unused.

John

If you mirror using the BIOS or via a separate RIAD controller card then the mirroring is done at the physical volume level, the operating system (Windows or whatever) doesn't see two separate drives just the one. When Windows makes a write to the volume, this is made to both disks at the same time.

If you wanted to do it from within Windows (a software raid setup), then Windows' disk manager will see two physical drives which you can partition however you want and mirror just those partitions you want to. The partitions need to be the same size, if you try to mirror two dissimilar sized partitions, you will end up with a logical mirrored drive no bigger then the smaller partition and the rest of the space will be unused.

John

Thank you.  Perhaps the more precise question is:Does the N54L support HW RAID 0/1 (eg that it turns on HW RAID 0/1 on the MB)  meaning that WHS and Ubuntu Server 12 write file commands are issued only once and then the onboard RAID support issues a write to each drive?

This also begs the question whether or not the N54L has hardware support for RAID 0/1  or if it is 'fakeRAID"....Leaving the RAID management and configuration to software embedded in the OS of choice (eg WHS or Ubuntu Server+madam).  I've seen some references but again, not clear what exactly the N54L does.

If the only thing the BIOS setting does is pass along RAID 0/1 configuration 'intentions' to the OS, then, in absence of any HW RAID controller, then it is upto a software RAID to do the mirroring.

Best practices would tell you to go with 2x2,1 x 4, 2x4, 1x8, or 2x8.  It has never been a good practice to mismatch memory such a 1x8 + 1x1

True, that is best practice but I have used boards that allow mixing of memory sizes and they have functioned very well.  This is *usually* documented in the MB manual but I cannot find any referece to it in the HP docs....

Just so I am clear, it is allowable for the N54L to have one 8GB stick in it and it will function correctly?

Thanks again

J

Officially, HP doesn't support any 8GB sticks of RAM in the N54L, simply because it supports only 8GB in total (i.e. 2x4GB sticks). Unofficially, quite a few people have installed 16GB of RAM into N54Ls successfully. I'm not sure if that also means a single 8GB stick would work, but it might be worth a try.