RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Recomendations for Remote Access Media Streamers

vinylfreak

I finally got my remote access working on my Frankenbuild WHS box yesterday. My older brother has an HP Media Smart box. I really like HP's Media Streaming functionality that is built into there units.

I'm looking for some recommendations for some third party add ins or software that I could load up onto my Frankenbuild. Whats out there? What are you Guys (and Girls) using? What works best?

I need to be able to stream mp3s, WMA Lossless , WTV ,DVRMS, VOB and ISO files.

What are my choices?

Thanks in advance! =)

Twonky has been somewhat frustrating on the MediaSmart boxes lately with it not working properly and 3 patches so far with a 4th expected. Not sure if this is Twonky or HP's fault, but Twonky has released a bet6 that is pretty much close to HP's. http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2010/04/25/twonky-release-twonkymedia-server-6-0-beta/ the Flash version is nicer that the HP's MediaStreamer. I might even try to hack that part into my EX490.

I'm not sure about all the formats you want.

Do not do much streaming that requires trancoding however I started using Air Video a couple of weeks ago and it is great. Picky on formats and it streams to an iPad or iPhone the performance is outstanding. Streams m4v natively and transcodes MKV and wmv files. Works great however it is PC based not a WHS add-in so you have to do a little tweaking.

Vinylfreak

If you look at the Public Beta of VAIL (WHS), you will see that you have no more worries...it's in the box.

TheGuy

@diehard and @pcdoc Thanks a lot for the suggestions on the streaming add ins! I will give them I try and, report back.

@TheGuy The Remote Streaming functionality in Vail does look very promising. The Silverlight streamer looks very Media Center / Zune like.

I wish I had some extra hardware lying around I could test the Vail beta on. Not so lucky. =(

vinylfreak,

I tested the streaming on Vail and was very impressed. It is limited in video file types right now but is shows a lot of promise. I really like the photo viewer and the music streamer is awesome. A whole new world. Now they need an iPhone app for Vail.