RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Was Microsoft really actually on to something when they "killed" WHS?

oj88

I started with WHSv1 in early 2009. Since our desktops and laptops at home were all Windows-based, setting up WHS was a very logical solution for me. The technology was great... a Godsend... giving me the ability to backup all 10 Windows machines, DE allows me to host a ton of shared media, and then some. Back then, server utilization from the connected PCs were high as I can seldom see them offline in WHS Dashboard. There's always at least 6 to 8 out of 10 machines that are online during the day. The demand for the centralized media sharing was so great I had to soup up the storage capacity by adding several 2TB Green drives.

That went on until I eventually shifted to WHS2011 when it came out and adding, still, more drives... but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Anyway, starting about the latter part of 2010, family members, including myself, got on the tablet/iPad/smartphone bandwagon. Three years later, I'd be lucky to see 2 or 3 PCs online in Dashboard. If any, it's a freakin' ghost town. Every now and then, a PC powers up, the backup runs, and then powers down. That's it. All of us seldom bother to turn on the PCs and just settle for the iPad. The only devices that get much use out of my WHS2011 were the WD TV Live SMP which we have scattered around the house. However, that too, might change.

Fast forward to last week, I finally succumb to subscribing to a VPN account and Netflix. Now, everybody's watching movies off the cloud. I still have tons of media on the server but I'm not sure it's still justifiable to keep the server running for that. Of course, I'd hate for the backup to go as well but then again, I have this feeling that I'm spending a bundle just operating and maintaining the server.

Now I'm thinking, MS might have been looking at the "post-PC" era with a bit more seriousness than we gave them credit for. I know it contradicts in that, they're the "PC". But I just can't deny the fact that WHS2011, in all its capabilities, at least in my home, has diminished its use to almost that of a glorified NAS.

Edited by oj88

oj, I can sympathize with you observations.

But to me its a bit of a chicken and egg issue as to wether MS is following a trend or trying to lead it, especially with media consumption.

There are making it harder and harder to access and consume your own media and easier and to access your media online (provided you are prepared to pay for that access of course.

My concern is that they are a little too far ahead of the curve in assuming everyone has great connectivity to the web. And when I say great I mean fast, affordable, ubiquitous and uncapped, which is not even approaching how best to describe 80% of the world's population.

The MS model implies that you will be happy to pay to access your media you have already paid for, as well as the bandwidth to gain that access.

Well, I aint gonna do that until prices and services are realistic.

Thoughful post, Thanks

I understand what you are saying. I see less and less need for bare metal backups with all the cloud offerings.

I am now trying Bitcasa with the intention of putting everything in the cloud, although I would never trust them

to be the only source of everything. 

My current setup has an OS drive and a data drive. I backup the data drive via Altaro FS Backup to an external drive,

all my personal data to the cloud and the whole thing to WHS. If I lose my Windows install all I lose is some time to set

it backup. The few serious issues I've had with Windows8 it was able to refresh itself.

So I have thought do I just simply need a media repository for my DVD rips and music locally with everything else in the cloud

to be accessed or streamed from the appropriate service.

My 2 cents... At my age, time is something one thinks about pretty often. I often weigh how much time it's going to take against how much I have left. So, for me, "If I lose my Windows install all I lose is some time to set it backup." is a big deal. It takes between 1 & 2 days to completely install and update a Windows computer and add all the programs. You also need to keep detailed notes about special configuration items you've done to the system.

For me, the ability to completely restore my PCs back to a known good state in less than 30 min. is something I do not want to give up.

I appreciate that Win8 can do a refresh without losing any data but, AFAIK, a refresh does not put back all the updates, nor does it reinstall all the programs. Someone please update me if I've got this wrong -- it would be a major reason to go to Win8 if I'm wrong.

Limited bandwidth speed and bandwidth caps both apply to me, so online backup is not an option. Thus, a server is going to be a necessity for years to come.

Regarding MS, I believe they are often ahead of the curve. Their issue has been that, almost every time they're ahead of the curve, the product fails to gain market share.

snip...

I appreciate that Win8 can do a refresh without losing any data but, AFAIK, a refresh does not put back all the updates, nor does it reinstall all the programs. Someone please update me if I've got this wrong -- it would be a major reason to go to Win8 if I'm wrong.

No you are right. A refresh retains your personal data etc. and also any Windows Store (Metro) apps (although I suspect it re-downloads them). It deletes and does not put back any other third-part software.

John

"Never" try to over think Microsoft's marketing plan.  You would be way ahead of the curve.

No you are right. A refresh retains your personal data etc. and also any Windows Store (Metro) apps (although I suspect it re-downloads them). It deletes and does not put back any other third-part software.

John

Thanks John. Guess I'm sticking with WHS2011 or WSE2012 for a while then ;)

"Never" try to over think Microsoft's marketing plan.  You would be way ahead of the curve.

They have a marketing plan?

Wow I always assumed Ballmer made it up as he went along

Microsoft's vision is that our hardware is always connected to them. Like a human on dialysis. Terms like The Cloud, and cloud computing, Office365 and XBOX ONE's always connected are examples of their goal for us to be subscription based, always quietly draining bits of money from our wallets in a way that we ignore it's happening.

I remember a quote from The Simpsons where some guy asks Homer " it costs $120" and Homer says "NO WAY" then the guy says " How about $10 a month ?" Homer says " That great, I'll take it.