RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
fredload

Crash Plan questions?

fredload

Thanks for all the feedback. It is very helpful. I currently have 8.0GB of RAM installed on my WHS2011. Do you think I need to add additional RAM or should this be sufficient? 

awraynor

I'm just a wannabe, the rest of the guys are experts, but I believe the consensus is that

8GB is a reasonable amount. 

I was going to say I was a groupie, but then I looked up the exact definition, yikes!

pcdoc

I am looking to add cloud storage to my WHS2011 box. I have waited far to long to get this done. It looks like Crash Plan is the best choice based on all the info I read here in the forums. I do have a couple of questions that I am not sure of and I hope some of you already using Crash Plan can answer for me. I will have to use the seed service because I have will over 800 GB of files to upload and since I use EXCEDE satellite service I am metered and it would take years probably to upload. My questions are below and I would appreciate any feedback you guys can give. Thanks.

1. Has anyone used the seed service? If so, was the process simple?

2. I have free bandwith from Midnight until 4a.m. daily. Can I assign the time my server will backup to Crash Paln so I don't use up my bandwith cap?

3. If I upgrade to a new server, say with essentials 2012 can I move the Crash Plan account to the new machine?

4. How does Crash Plan run on a server? Any install issues or problems?

Thanks again for any help you guys can provide.

1. I have heard it is an easy process but have not tried it.  I would doubt it is very complicated to do.

2. Absolutely, that is the way I have mine set up.   I run it only between 1am and 5am and I also cap the bandwidth is can use as not to hinder other things that might need the bandwidth.

3. Absolutely, have done that a couple of times and I am about to do it again when I switch to essentials.

4. No problem running on anything yet.  Will be trying R2 but so far WHS 2011, Server 2012, and Essentials all work fine.

Also, I sort of concur with everyone else on the RAM, however what is takes seems to be driven by what it is buffering based on what you are backing up.  Mine uses 590megs of RAM which does not bother me to much based on what it does.  I would gladly give up a couple of gigs for the cause to backup my stuff.

fredload

1. I have heard it is an easy process but have not tried it.  I would doubt it is very complicated to do.

2. Absolutely, that is the way I have mine set up.   I run it only between 1am and 5am and I also cap the bandwidth is can use as not to hinder other things that might need the bandwidth.

3. Absolutely, have done that a couple of times and I am about to do it again when I switch to essentials.

4. No problem running on anything yet.  Will be trying R2 but so far WHS 2011, Server 2012, and Essentials all work fine.

Also, I sort of concur with everyone else on the RAM, however what is takes seems to be driven by what it is buffering based on what you are backing up.  Mine uses 590megs of RAM which does not bother me to much based on what it does.  I would gladly give up a couple of gigs for the cause to backup my stuff.

Thanks Mike,

I think I will pull the trigger on Crash Plan. I will report back on how the seeding process goes and the initial setup. I always appreciate the feedback from everyone. 

pcdoc

good luck and let us know.