RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My New 54L Build

Pete1989

Hi everyone,

I'm building myself a nice new 54L build, my first NAS setup. 

So far I have my 54L, 4x3TB WD Reds are coming tomorrow, I already have 1x3TB so I also have a ICY Dock drive converter to allow a total of 5 drives.

I'll be running FreeNAS so I also have a tiny USB stick coming tomorrow too. 

I'm really looking forward to this so I'll keep you updated :)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• KydDynoMyte

• Pete1989

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After reading over your hardware and your choice of FreeNAS two things come to mind.  

1. You are going to have a lot of FUN!!!   

2.  Remember that ZFS loves RAM  so if you haven't already you might think about going more then the stock RAM.  ZFS is amazing as is FreeNAS (And its a great doorway into BSD).

I am interested to hear how the WD Reds work out for you as I have them on my "want" list.  Which USB drive did you go with?   Pix are always nice!!

I'm aware of its need for RAM - so I have 16GB Kingston coming later this week :) USB is a Kingston DataTraveller Micro, if that doesnt work I have another Kingston stick lying around (it seems i have a thing for Kingston :S )

I'll let you know about the Reds, though they might be slowed down a bit by my 3TB Green that I'll be using alongside them for the mean time. They should be up to the job though, designed for 24/7 running.

Pics will be coming :)

Such enthusiasm for OS and hardware and stuff; reminds me of me 30+ years ago. Enjoy, but remember, life is short.

And yes, pics are fun :)

Ok, so I flashed the BIOS, installed FreeNAS to my USB and fired it up. All went well, identified all drives, created a volume...so I went ahead and started to transfer over my media library from my old 2TB HDD to my new volume.

Problem is I'm only getting 11.0MB/s transfer speed. This seems awfully slow to me, what could be the issue? Is my yet to be upgraded 2GB ram holding it back or is there something else?

Pics will be coming shortly.

There was a post late last week about the NIC's in these set to Auto negotiate and the poster saw an increase in speed when the Speed was set to 1 gig, I believe.

I think jmwills is on the right track. 11MB/s or 88Mb/s is about the max amount of actual data you can push through a 100Mb/s connection. Are you using a switch or are you making a pc to pc connection?

the specs on the router says that the 4 ports are 10/100.

you need a gigabit switch or a router with gigabit ports.

ahh sorry, i thought 10/100 was Gigabit - my mistake. I'll struggle as I am for the meantime. 

Another issue is that on the ICY Box drive cage I got the little 40mm fan was soooooo loud and made a awful noise. I've unplugged the fan now, is there anywhere in freenas I can keep an eye on the temps/do you think it would be ok fanless?