RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hp Proliant Microserver

hussain

Hi,

I am old time tech junkie taking my first plunge into world of NAS and Server after suffering a hard drive failure and loosing most of my data ( i learn the hard way:).

I was about to pull the trigger on Synology NAS but after doing some reading on this and other forums bought Hp Proliant N54L. My proliant will arrive coming friday and I need help of good friends here with following question:

1. Operating System:
Which operating system should I install on hp; Considering that I want to use plex for local media serving, need a torrent client on server, setup a VPN so that my family back home can access youtube (banned in my country) via my 30 MB connection, connect my printer to server and establish RAID 5 NAS.

2. How To do the above:
Depending upon OS recommended where can I find How To guides to do the above mentioned "Wish List".

3. RAID 5 and redundancy:

If one out of four drive fails in RAid 5, do I still have access to my data or do I need to insert a new disk and rebuild the array before I can access the data again?

Refer article below, in Case of URE ((Unrecoverable Read Error) is there any way to tell software to ignore/skip the unreadable sector and rebuild the rest?

4. WD Green and RAID 5:
IS WD green any good or is there other drives recommended for RAID 5, I am on tight budget:)

5. RAM
Are ECC ram's a must have for Server's. What are the advantage of adding more ram to a SERVER?

Thanks

You say your on a tight budget so I recommend WHS2011. You can find it for Under $50 and as low as $30.

The Microservers don't support RAID 5 unless you buy a raid card. So again since moneys tight, try DriveBender or Drivepool $20 or even less.

• Like 1

As drives get bigger rebuilding a RAID5 set takes longer. While rebuilding you are at risk of losing data, if you lose a second drive.

That said, RAID is not backup. RAID is for resilience and/or performance.

Taking a step back, how much storage do you need or want?

I would agree with 'Diehard', WHS 2011 is a steal at its current price. WHS 2011 max memory is 8GB. HP has only qualified the N54L with ECC memory.

I have had good luck with WD Green drives, but they are designed to be a desktop drive. WD Red drives are designed for this type of application. 

Watch the deal section on this site for drive deals. I have been recommending these lately;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149407

• Like 1

I concur with the others about WHS2011. It's an incredible buy.

YouTube is banned in your country??

They cost a little more, but I would recommend WD Red drives over Green. I haven't used any Hitachi drives in quite a long time, so I can't comment on them.

ECC RAM is what HP officially supports. That said, a number of people have used non-ECC RAM successfully. Also, one member posted only yesterday that he found ECC and non-ECC RAM for almost the same price.

1. Without getting into details, if software cost is not an issue, which is the recommended software, How about Windows Server 2012 Essentials or Ubuntu, I came accross a very detailed guide of setting up a Raid 5 array on Ubuntu.

http://ahhbees.blogs...erver-n54l.html

2. I know microservers don't support raid 5 but doesn't windows server come with some kind of  software raid 5/raid 6 solution?

3. If one drive fails in Raid 5, do i still have access to my data or I need to rebuild the array before i can access my data again?

4. During Raid 5 Rebuild, in Case of URE ((Unrecoverable Read Error) is there any way to tell software to ignore/skip the unreadable sector and rebuild the rest?

5. What happens in case of Motherboard or OS disk failure?

6. What is the purpose of ECC Ram, any associated advantages?

7. If i setup 3 drives in Raid 5/ Raid 6 now, can i add a drive to the Raid 5/Raid 6 array in Future.

8. Can I put six 3.5" hard drives in Hp Proliant (1 for OS and 5 for Raid 6).

9. Would this ram with Hp Proliant as someone is selling it on ebay for cheap. http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PC3-10600-DDR3-1333MHz-Registered-M393B5170EH1-CH9/dp/B00DIWQDUS

Edited by hussain

1. WSE2012 is certainly an option. However, I wouldn't rule out WHS2011 either. It's unbelievably cheap and will be supported for many years to come.

2. Windows Server does have some built in RAID capability, but I would recommend one of the add-on programs such as flexRAID, DrivePool, DriveBender, or PoolHD.

3. Yes, you can access your data durng a RAID5 rebuild. Access might be a little slower than usual, but not necessarily, as many RAID tools automatically slow down the rebuilding while the data is being accessed.

4. I think this depends on which RAID you're using.

5. In case of motherboard failure, there is no way to know what will happen. It all depends on how the mobo fails. It is quite possible the data would be intact. In any case, the important factor is to have a solid and robust backup. I can't emphasize this point enough: any kind of failure of the server hardware, or even a disaster such as your home burning down, should not result your data being permanently lost.

6. ECC RAM has the ability to self-correct some data errors. As per Wikipedia:

Error-correcting code memory (ECC memory) is a type of computer data storage that can detect and correct the most common kinds of internal data corruption. ECC memory is used in most computers where data corruption cannot be tolerated under any circumstances, such as for scientific or financial computing.
ECC memory maintains a memory system immune to single-bit errors: the data that is read from each word is always the same as the data that had been written to it, even if a single bit actually stored, or more in some cases, has been flipped to the wrong state. Some non-ECC memory with parity support allows errors to be detected, but not corrected; otherwise errors are not detected.

7. the ability to add drives to a RAID array depends on the RAID hardware/software. Almost all of the drive pooling software -- flexRAID, DriverPool, DriveBender, PoolHD -- does have this ability. pcdoc can tell you if a RocketRaid 2720 card has this ability, although I believe it does.

8. I believe Joe_Miner has done this <JM to insert links here> :)

9. don't know.

9. That is Registered RAM and will not work in the MicroServer.

The URE issue comes up when someone replaces a dead drive, the array starts to rebuild and they find they have another drive that is starting to fail. Most RAID controllers will let you know when a drive is predicting failure. On Raid5 you need to mind your drives.

RAID0 or 1 is fine for OS RAID, RAID5 in the OS is slow and rebuilds take a long time.

Edited by schoondoggy

Thankyou everyone

1. What happens in case of Motherboard or os disk failure

2. How can I backup 6tb data, not trillionaire:).

3. what is best software for raid 5 or raid 6 which allows new disk to be added later on.

4. How about Ubuntu, the idea of being able to run iy fro. Usb attracts me.

5. During raid rebuild if ure occurs, can we "tell" software to ignore it?

1. You would replace them. I recommended RAID1 for OS drives so that you have no down time. This could be done in the OS.

2. Crashplan is $4 per month unlimited. You could backup to the cloud. 6TB would be a lot to recover from the cloud. Is all of this 6TB original content? If they are ripped DVD's, it may be easier to re-rip them.

3. As previously stated, I don't recommend software based RAID5. Highpoint RR2720 cards are around $160 new. I like HP P410 cards, used for around the same price. To get to 6TB you could put three 3TB drives in a RAID5, leaving one slot open to add a fourth 3TB drive in the future.

4. Not my area of expertise.

5. On the HP RAID controllers it appears they will copy the error during a rebuild. Then they recommend running chkdsk to resolve the error. The attached link has some interesting reading on the topic;

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01857445

I should have also mentioned RAID controllers like the HP are constantly scrubbing the drives looking for errors and repairing them.

This is one of the reasons I have not seen any URE on any of my systems.