RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Why prefer a WHS add-in version of a software instead of a standard app?

Holgerwa

I listen to the podcast for some time now and am wondering why it is mentioned as a disadvantage if an app is not available as an add-in?

I personally use Remote Desktop to connect to my WHS when I'm at home, the connection comes up way faster than the console and I can just do anything I need at the WHS, not only the things that are possible through the console.

When I need to access the WHS remotely, I use Teamviewer to have the same functionality as an RDP connection.

What's the reason to use the console instead of Remote Desktop? What advantages do I get from using the console?

WHS was really intended for headless applications. The console provides a method to interact with the server in order to perform the necessary maintenance activities like setting up users, adding / removing drives, etc. The basic premise behind this idea is WHS is built for the home user / average person.

Using Add-ins should be easier for a basic user of WHS to add and remove software from their server. If the add-in is created correctly it will install and un-install using the Add-in interface in the console.

Because WHS is designed to run without a monitor or keyboard attached, WHS programs are best run from the console. Too many applications built for a PC only run when A) You log on as a user or B) You interact with the application (either regularly or when an error pops up). If a program like this interrupts the RDP service you will have a dead box.