RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Moving from a VDH to an SSD

KiwiGlen

Well that's one interpretation and it does make sense.

I think we'll just have to hold fire until Glen replies and hopefully he can clarify exactly what it is he wants to do.

John

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• KiwiGlen

• jem101

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I want to extract the WS2012E install onto the SSD, I'm trying to avoid reinstalling WS2012E on the SSD.

Well its all done, I used a free tool called EaseUS Todo Backup Free to do the copy the VHD to the SSD.  I put the SSD in the server and updated Hyper-V to point to it and started the VM and it run great.

After reading a bit more and seeing what's coming in WS2012E R2 I've decided to get rid of my WS2012 VM Server and run Essentials on bare metal.  Now that I'm using pass though for the hard drive that move should be simple.

• 3 weeks later...

OK just a quick update, everything is now running on bare metal but I have one fairly small problem the server takes a long time to boot and its booting off an SSD. 

When it boots it gets to the screen with the lovely blue windows icon, it sits there for over a minute before the little white spinner appears, then it takes another 20-30 seconds before the logon screen appears.

I think it may have something to do with WS2012E being installed on the VHD while it is now booting off the SSD and the SATA port is in AHCI mode. But I'm not sure why I get the delay. 

I'm not overly worried about this as it is a server after all and it doesn't get rebooted often but I really never like things not going as fast as they can.

If anybody has any idea let me know and I'll give it a go.

Not saying it's the case here, but often the reason for such delays is that the system is waiting for some component to respond. I've seen it happen after removing a piece of hardware from a system without removing the hardware logically from the OS. On each reboot the OS would go looking for the hardware and would wait a while to give the hardware a chance to respond.