RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Noob questions about file shares

Pancakes

Okay, so I have my Server setup and running 2012 Essentials. The server can see all the PC's on the network, but not the other way round.

the Server is on its domain, and I don't want the other PC's to be on a domain. How do I get to my file shares?

There is a workaround for not joining clients to the Domain for the purpose of having those clients backed up.  You should be able to see the shares from this method.

If not, map drives.

Okay, so I have my Server setup and running 2012 Essentials. The server can see all the PC's on the network, but not the other way round.

the Server is on its domain, and I don't want the other PC's to be on a domain. How do I get to my file shares?

There is a workaround for not joining clients to the Domain for the purpose of having those clients backed up.  You should be able to see the shares from this method.

If not, map drives.

Like John said there's a workaround for not joining clients to the Domain but still be able to back them up.  I like TinkererGuy's method but Thurrott's method works too -- try em both and go with the one you like -- I described them in options 2 & 3 here http://homeservershow.com/storage-spaces-performance-in-windows-server-2012-essentials-on-a-hp-n40l-proliant-microserver.html

There's also something to check so your PC's on your network can see your Server.  Check the “Computer Browser” service that GaryT gave us a head's up on http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4993-my-migration-from-ws2011-to-ws2012e-using-workgroups/ 

Awesome! Thanks guys!

File copying over the network is crazy fast, maxing out at around 115mb/s (I think thats the read speed of the hard drive I have attached anyway)

Perhaps Joe is a bot? :P

Edited by Pancakes

I want to see your master cheat sheet linking to all these posts!  :)

It's probably a 3 ring binder that looks an awful lot like this book.

Windows-Server-2012-John-Stutsman-style.

I think you could have read the book in less time than it tool to all of that :)  You get an A for ingenuity.