RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Missing Roles and features

Lord_ranger

So i have been playing around with WS2012 and i installed Hyper-v and tried to use it, since i haven't really had the time to figure out how to setup it up and all its kinda just sat there. Anywho,

I went to add some more roles and features...and went to do it just like i had dont it with Hyper-v all the roles and features were not there, Just a couple where there, Not even VPN which is the one i was looking for. There are only 7 on the list, they are like Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, IISS. 

Ive restarted, looked...double looked and couldnt figure out where the rest went...im thoroughly confused....

So im not sure what to do yet, besides reinstalling 

Edited by Lord_ranger

AD is not a "role"......you have to run "dcpomo" from a run command (or from search) in order to promote the server to a Domain Controller.

https://www.blackbaud.com/files/support/infinityinstaller/content/installermaster/tkrundcpromo.htm

VPN can be enabled simply by a port forwarding Port 1723? to the Server IP Address or by installing the Remote Access role.

WS2012 Essentials on the other hand, is very different.  By default it will be a Domain Controller, so DNS and DHCP will be there as well as IIS to support the web site.

AD is not a "role"......you have to run "dcpomo" from a run command (or from search) in order to promote the server to a Domain Controller.

https://www.blackbaud.com/files/support/infinityinstaller/content/installermaster/tkrundcpromo.htm

VPN can be enabled simply by a port forwarding Port 1723? to the Server IP Address or by installing the Remote Access role.

WS2012 Essentials on the other hand, is very different.  By default it will be a Domain Controller, so DNS and DHCP will be there as well as IIS to support the web site.

Sorry i meant Active Directory.

Does running the "dcpomo" command force me to use a domain to add any computer to the server? The whole point of me installing WS2012 was to be able to use hyper-v WITHOUT the need for a domain or domain controller. Basically i want it to work like WHS2011...just more features.

EDIT: Before i installed Hyper-v im 90% sure that roles were there. 

Sorry for my lack of knowledge in these things...im very to new to this sort of thing.

Thanks for all your help. 

Edited by Lord_ranger

No need for AD to have the Hyper-V role installed.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/uspartner_ts2team/archive/2012/11/02/how-to-setup-hyper-v-on-a-windows-server-2012-server.aspx

Make sure the virtualization feature is enabled in the BIOS, provide your CPU supports it.

i dont THINK it was a hardware issue.....i have a flexraid pool and the permissions were not working.

I ran the "dcpromo" command in powershell.....and i got the message "The active directory doamin services installation wizard is not support on this SKU" 

Im running the datacenter technet version. S

Do not use Powershell for this. And yes I've never tried to dcpromo A data center edition only Regular or Enterprise.

I'm you don't want to have a domain then don't run dcpromo which promotes a server to be a domain controller and installs the AD binaries if necessary.

What are you trying to do with the server? You say you want it to run like WHS2011 but with mor features, however Server 2012 actually has fewer features than 2011 as it is aimed at a different target market. The closest you will get to 2011 would be Server 2012 Essentials but that will really want to be a domain controller and expect all the client machines to be on a domain-although there are methods of bypassing this.

John

No way Essentials can avoid being a DC

That's true, what I intended to say is that you can bypass adding the client PCs to the domain and leave them in a workgroup mode.

John