RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

DrivePool choice....need some input.....

gyrene2083

Hello All, I came across this site doing some research on different choices of "pooling" drives. I presently have UnRaid, on another box and
it's Rock solid. However, I just built a Windows Essentials Server, and I have played with FlexRaid so far, but after watching the

video. I actually sat and watched the entire hour and a twenty-one minute video.

John Stutsman, and John Zajdler made compelling cases for Drivepool, while Matt made his for DriveBender. I think I want to try the Drivepool, when I saw Mr. Stutsman show his tabbed version of WHS 2011 Unleashed, it was clear to me that he has does his homework thoroughly, and wouldn't put just anything in his Servers. (If you haven't seen it, I would recommmend it Episode 216)

Now with that said, here is my setup :

Essentials Server

5 - 2TB Drives

3 - 1TB Drives

13 TB Setup as DRU

1 - 3TB Drive

3 TB Setup as Parity

That is the FlexRaid Setup.

I have an UNRaid Server setup with 14 TB's (This is my main box for now, but I want to use it as my backup to my Essentials Server)

Now with the Essentials Server setup, can I get some input or tips regarding DrivePool? I appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks for reading this 'Ole Marines post.

Hey gyrene2083. Welcome to the forums. I've recently tried DriveBender, DrivePool, and PoolHD. For your purpose they may work well; for mine, I've had issues. Oddly enough, I just downloaded the flexRAID trial to see if can do what I need better. It involves removable USB enclosures.

I have not tried and DR replacement except for Drive Bender and it has served me well for about 18 months as my offsite storage solution.  It was easy to install and straightforward.  I guess my suggestion would be to try a few and see which one works best for you.

As they say on TV, your mileage may vary.

Welcome aboard...

Oohrah and Semper Fi

I have stablebit drivepool 1.3 running on WHS 2011 (3 TB + 3TB + 2TB) for 6 months with perfect reliability. That includes one drive replacement action (swapped a 1.5TB for a 3 TB). I turned off duplication to free up space to reject the 1.5 TB drive and so forth. Then turned it back on after the replacement drive was in place. I have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending it for drive pooling and folder duplication. In my case a very key functional benefit is that you can put non-pooled data on a drive in the pool without interfering with the pooling. I backup most of my server folders with CrashPlan locally to space on one of the drives of the pool but outside the pool itself. (The data is also backed up to the CrashPlan servers, ~800G). Works great. Another thing I like is that ALL files are stored in standard NTFS format. If I would ever need to move drives and recover content, I have a lot of confidence that I could do that.

I am also running stablebit drivepool 2.x beta on Windows 7 Pro (4 x 1.5TB) for about a month. This includes multiple version updates. This pool is just a test pool and it is holding only backup data so if it gets messed up no big deal. However, it has run so far with perfect reliability through multiple version updates. I have had problems with some of the folder duplication features and I have reported them. I would not use this in production yet, but then it is clearly beta...  

Hey gyrene2083. Welcome to the forums. I've recently tried DriveBender, DrivePool, and PoolHD. For your purpose they may work well; for mine, I've had issues. Oddly enough, I just downloaded the flexRAID trial to see if can do what I need better. It involves removable USB enclosures.

Thanks for the warm welcome. My main purpose for use would be for my Blu-Rays, and Pictures. Also, wanted to start backing up the wife and kids pc's. Good Luck with FlexRaid, for me it wasn't integrating well with what I wanted. However, breaking it still allowed me to see all my files on the folders independantly, and putting it back together was a breeze. I just couldn't figure out how to get it to integrate with the dashboard the way I wanted. Probably my inexperience, probably just the old Grumpy Marine in me. lol

Either way I wish you luck.

I have not tried and DR replacement except for Drive Bender and it has served me well for about 18 months as my offsite storage solution.  It was easy to install and straightforward.  I guess my suggestion would be to try a few and see which one works best for you.

As they say on TV, your mileage may vary.

Welcome aboard...

Oohrah and Semper Fi

I appreciate the input on DriveBender. Matt, was big on it I think today it's still 40 percent off, last day though. I may give it a whirl to see how it works, thanks for the welcome....

and OOOOFREAKINGRAHHHH to you too!

I have stablebit drivepool 1.3 running on WHS 2011 (3 TB + 3TB + 2TB) for 6 months with perfect reliability. That includes one drive replacement action (swapped a 1.5TB for a 3 TB). I turned off duplication to free up space to reject the 1.5 TB drive and so forth. Then turned it back on after the replacement drive was in place. I have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending it for drive pooling and folder duplication. In my case a very key functional benefit is that you can put non-pooled data on a drive in the pool without interfering with the pooling. I backup most of my server folders with CrashPlan locally to space on one of the drives of the pool but outside the pool itself. (The data is also backed up to the CrashPlan servers, ~800G). Works great. Another thing I like is that ALL files are stored in standard NTFS format. If I would ever need to move drives and recover content, I have a lot of confidence that I could do that.

I am also running stablebit drivepool 2.x beta on Windows 7 Pro (4 x 1.5TB) for about a month. This includes multiple version updates. This pool is just a test pool and it is holding only backup data so if it gets messed up no big deal. However, it has run so far with perfect reliability through multiple version updates. I have had problems with some of the folder duplication features and I have reported them. I would not use this in production yet, but then it is clearly beta...  

I appreciate the input jsox, I like your setup trying to get the wife to get me another 3TB for my birthday in a few weeks, lol. I want to eventually get the Essentials server filled with 3 TB drives, and move the 2TBs to my UnRaid Server. I have a Norco 4220 I have at least 8 more empty bays to fill. I have a few questions for you, I hope you can answer them for me;

1. How does it integrate with the Dashboard, is it nice and smooth?

2. Does it allow you to move the PC Backups off the OS Drive and put them into the pool? I'm not sure I am even asking that right. I know that in WHS 2011, with FlexRaid, I couldn't get it move the folder off of the OS Drive, easily. Again could have just been my inexperience and lack o knowledge.

I hope you can help, thanks again for your patience, and tips.

1. Integrates just fine into the WHS 2011 dashboard in my opinion. There are screenshots at http://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Screenshots

There is no dashboard on Win 7 Pro of course, so there is an application.

2. Yep. I do that. It was simple. I don't duplicate the PC backups and I don't include them in my CrashPlan backup, but I suppose I could if I wanted to / had room.

Cool, so ver. 2.0 works with Essentials 2012 Dashboard. That is exactly what I want.

I just really need to backup aside from my wifes Pictures, that is the most important thing and her music. I just am afraid one day she'll just lose all of it, and then I will just never hear the end of it. Happy wife is a Happy life.....and I am just going to eventually use my UnRaid as my backup.....Thanks jsox...

Cool, so ver. 2.0 works with Essentials 2012 Dashboard. That is exactly what I want.

I have stablebit drivepool v2 beta on my S2012E box and it has NO dashboard integration.  V1.3 DOES have dashboard integration but it only works on WHS2011, NOT S2012E.

Thanks for clarifying that for me lot Mr_Smartepants. I appreciate it.....I was looking on the site and since they don't have a Manual for 2.0 I really couldn't tell....

I could also mention that I have stablebit scanner 2.3.x running on each of those two instances (WHS 2011 and Win 7 Pro). It plays nice in both instances. It is optional but I like the "failing drive evacuation" feature you can turn on in the drivepool balancer when you have scanner running too.