RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Storage Spaces

geek-accountant

I am considering re doing some of my network.  As part of this, I am looking at unRAID again and wondering if Storage Spaces may be a good replacement.

In the few years I have been running unRAID, I have never lost any data even though I have lost several drives.  unRAID also allows me to use various size drives and grow the array by just adding additional drives.  Performance is not great, but I use this more for mass storage and not something that is being hit very hard.  For that purpose, it has worked great. 

So, then why am I thinking about doing away with unRAID?  Well, it's just part of my thinking and I may not do it.  But right now, I have 3 servers (unRAID, Windows Storage Server & Windows Server 2008r2).  The Windows Storage Server backs up all the computers in the house, acts as the file server for the house and runs CrashPlan.  Server 2008r2 is only used to run VM's.  So my thinking is to combine the uses of unRAID and Server 2008r2 into one box.

Thoughts?  Is Storage Spaces solid enough to match unRAID in terms of not losing data?

From what others have posted, it is capable, but everyone seems to report VERY slow speeds Mike.  If what you have is working, why switch?

I do have one box at a remote location that is running DriveBender in an N40L Microserver and it is doing everything I need for it to do.  And at $10......such a deal.

Not sure I will leave unRAID, just looking at options and wouldn't mind reducing the number of machines I have running.  My rack now has  6 computers running on it.

One of the servers does do visualization.  The others are:

pfSense

Untangle

Windows 8 - used as a whole house DVR with Xbox 360 extenders

unRAID

Windows Storage Server (WSS)

Not sure I want to go virtual again on pfSense and Untangle.  As for the others, with the right system, I might.  I have huge storage needs (unRAID has 18.5TB of storage) and WSS has about 10TB.  The DVR machine only has about 2TB.

GA, I know I could look it up, but can you just tell me if unRAID uses a proprietary format? What I mean is, if you yank a drive from an unRAID system, can it be read on another Windows machine that doesn't have unRAID?

The unRAID drives can be removed and the data read by another system.  I am not sure if a Windows based system can read them, but I know a Linux based system can.  Files are not split over multiple drives.

Thx GA. I don't really want to get back into Linux, except for my Untangle box, so maybe I'll look at flexRAID.

Here is my two cents.  The storage spaces created on server 2012 are not downward compatible with the ones created on Windows 8.  Considering the uncertainly of TechNet and how long you will use 2012, I would not go that way.  Storage Spaces is just a big miss in my book and is not reliable.  If you have luck with unraid then stick with it or step up to a RAID 5 for the heavy lifting,  But using Storages, friends don't let friends use storage spaces....

Thanks pcdoc.  That's what I was looking for, end user feedback and not the marketing hype I read all over the internet.  From what I was reading on other sites, I was thinking it might be a good replacement for unRAID since it can handle multiple size drives and easily grow just by adding another drive.  Getting end user feedback, especially those that know what they are talking about like you and other here, is very helpful.

Reliability is more important than speed to me.  unRAID is not fast, but it has never let me down.  So if Storage Spaces is not reliable, then it's an easy answer for me.