RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

W7 Homegroup and WHS

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I have done a little reading on homegroup but not enough to know all of its capabilities/settings/etc. Is there anyone using homegroup and have a WHS? If yes, what is the purpose of using homegroup when you have a server. To me, it seems WHS has all the functionality of homegroup and then a lot more. Is my analysis right?

Ditto for me as well...
Read up a bit and then said ...hey but I've got that already.

I think this just reflects 2 different development teams in Microsoft delivering similar functionality via different platforms.

My view is that win7 homegroups offers me nothing in the WHS = 3 PC environ.

hey if someone can see any advantage to using Win7 homegroups ...let us know what we missed.

Phil.

I have two Win 7 machines and two Win XP machines. I haven't tried the home group feature yet, as I too can't see any benefit. I believe it's an attempt to make networking simple for the average Sally and Joe.

I believe that homegroup will be better exploited in WHS2 than now as it really does not do much with it.

I have 2 W7 Machines, 2 XP + 1 WHS. This homegroup thing confuses me a bit as well as I already share files stored on my WHS across all PCs.

That being said, from what I can understand it does the following:
Basically sets up the shared folders on each client PC without having to go through the step of "mapping". Unless I'm doing something wrong (or more difficultly than I need to), I map my shares on each client so that I can have access to them from anywhere. It seems like you simply need to designate a PC (or User?) as a member of the Homegroup and the shares designated as homegroup shares will immediately be mapped.

Similarly, it made the setup of my networked HP printer a tad (it's still more of a PITA than it needs to be mind you) easier once it was added to the homegroup.

So, could I live without it? absolutely....could I see it being marginally helpful for a complete novice? Yes.

PCDoc, I believe you are right!

I use homegroup on my two MediaCenter PC's. The recorded tv folders are in the homegroup so each media center in the house can easily see recorded tv on each machine. If something is recording downstairs I can start viewing it upstairs. Once the recording is done it gets copied over to the WHS.