RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows Server 2012E Vs. Standard?

Pancakes

People seem to be recommending 2012E over standard, why is this?

What benefits does Essentials have over Standard? and what benefits does Standard have? 

WSE2012 has WHS-style Client PC Backup; Standard does not. WSE2012 also has media streaming; Standard does not. WSE2012 costs $400 or less; Standard costs over $1,000.

• Like 1

If you want to run a bunch of VMs, Standard might be a good choice. It even gives you the ability to run WSE2012 in 1 of its VMs, at no extra cost, so that effectively reduces the cost of WS2012 by $400.

I think I would use VMware anyway, I am really interested in ESXi and stuff, so that would be what I would want to improve upon 

• 4 weeks later...

Well there are a few more differences, WS12E comes with a few roles that you shouldn't remove (IE. its not supported from Microsoft) one of them being the domain controllant, on WS12S no roles are installed by default..

You can find more information here.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand you can do a in place upgrade from essentials to standard via key. That will add the hyper-v of standard to essentials without losing essentials capabilities. Can I just use the standard key from my MSDN account to do an inplace upgrade?

I understand you can do a in place upgrade from essentials to standard via key. That will add the hyper-v of standard to essentials without losing essentials capabilities. Can I just use the standard key from my MSDN account to do an inplace upgrade?

Yes, you can. And this is exactly what I've done. Still using the Essentials "role", as well as hyper-V. 

Details on how:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj247582.aspx