RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Accessing a shared hard drive without joining domain?

Shoop

I just installed Windows server 2012 essentials (new user) to play around with it. I am trying to access drives that I setup on the server as shares from other computers on the network; however, none of the other computers see the server.

I already have a server (whs 2011) that I have all my pcs connected to using the connector software.  I have installed a second WHS 2011 and setup shared drives on it and had no problem connecting to the drives on the second server without use of the connector software.  I am thinking of replacing the second WHS 2011 with with Server 2012 essentials (which explains why I installed it on another computer).

How can I map network drives  from the server 2012 without the use of connector software or joining a domanin? Is there an easy way to do this like  WHS 2011 lets you?  I don't need server 2012 for anything other than accessing some shared drives at this time.

thank you

Edited by Shoop

If you client PCs can't see the WSE2012 at all, you may need to change the Domain of your WSE2012 to match what you have for Workgroup on your client PCs.

To access shares on your WSE2012, you need to connect to it using an account that's on the WSE2012. One thing you could do is create accounts on WSE2012 that match the ones you use on your client PCs. Be absolutely certain to use the same passwords for the accounts. Now, when you try to access a share on WSE2012, it will check the credentials of the user and find an account. It will also see that the password matches, so it will grant access to the shares. Of course, you have to ensure that the accounts you create on WSE2012 have permissions to the shares you want to access.

Setup the Shares as you would normally, but you will be prompted for Domain Credentials  (\\servername\domainusername).  Now, there is a little used APP in the Control Panel named Credentials Manager where you can associate a workgroup set of credentials to access the Domain resources.

Ok, maybe I'm confused.  Bear with me on this. I'm new to this and still learning.

I setup the (e: drive) on Server 2012 to share the entire drive. Setup the server credentials as suggested by jmwills.  Went to my computer set it to a static ip (dhcp through router before). When I tried to map a network drive using (\\servername\domainusername) it would come up asking my username and password.  Entered those and it could not find server.  Tried doing this under several users setup on the server and nothing.   Finally, I tried mapping the network drive and entered (\\servername\e) and it mapped the drive not even asking for any username or password.

I even went and deleted the credentials and set my computer back to dhcp and it still reconnects at log on.

My thinking is when I set the drive to share I set the permissions to anyone which makes it mappable without username and passwords. Would this be correct?

So to recap, I can map the drive with no problem but I cannot see the server in the network from my computer.

You set the Share and Security Permissions to Full for Everyone which is not what you want to do.  YOu do want to set the Share to Everyone/Full and Security to only those who need access.  This in effect give everyone the ability to see the share but only those with the Security Rights to enter the shared folder.

You can reach the share either bu Hostname (\\servername\sharename) or by IP Address (\\192.168.1.100\sharename)  If 192.168.1.100 is the IP Address of your server.  No need to set a static IP for a client.

You might need to turn on Network Discovery from the client.

Ditto what jmwills said re: the permissions. As you have it now, absolutely anyone can access your shares.

BTW, when mapping drives, I generally like to use the IP address method. I find I avoid the "this drive is already mapped" message more often using this method. I'm not sure of the exact wording, but it's words to that effect.

Could someone explain to me the proper way to setup a share.  Also security options.

For example, I want to share the entire drive so I right click on the drive>properties>sharing>advanced sharing>share permissions. Once there, the box above has everyone listed and I just check all three boxes below.

Do i need to remove the everyone, and add each individual username to the "Group or usernames" box?

Also, how do I set the security permissions?

network discovery is already on.

Thanks again to both of you for your continued help.

Right-click on the folder you want to share

Click the Share tab

Click Share

Give the share a name and leave the permissions as they are

Now click on the Security tab

Set the permissions as you actually want them.

Security is Set thru Advanced Sharing.  Just remember that using Everyone for a Security setting means just that, EVERYONE.  I like to use "Authenticated Users". 

Now, having said all of that, there is little likelihood that your network is at risk so is Everyone is easier to use as a Security Permission, then use it.