RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
rfs830

Turn box into a freenas box our use built in raid 1

rfs830

I may have to try that out.  I just wonder if it better to install it as the main os.  Right now my win2k12 box is not doing much more then a file server.  Sounds like whs will do a lot more for me.  

jmwills

Stick with your 2012 box as the "base install" and add the hyper V role so you can run WHS2011 in a VM.  As far as am am concerned, there is no other way to go.

KydDynoMyte

I dont have any of my movies set up to be backed up to crashplan right now.  some of the files are 30gigs.  Will crashplan still be able to back those up? 

I don't think it was clear at the begining what you lost was movies and tv shows. Unless they were home movies, I don't think most people back those up to the cloud unless they have a lot of bandwidth. Sounds like you were already backing up your important data with crashplan. WHS11 is great for client backups, then you might want an external drive or 2 to backup the WHS11 to. Maybe rotate them off site every so often. A lot of people say they don't bother to back up their movies & tv shows because they can just redownload or rerip them. I think an extra copy on an external drive or two might be a better way to go, I have better things to do than redownload or rerip all of that.

ikon

I'm with KydDynoMyte. I think many people don't consider just how much time and effort it would require to re-rip or download video files. I back all my data up, regardless of what it is. It's only the cost of a few more drives. I think that cost is pretty minor when compared to the alternative.

rfs830

thanks for all the info.  I guess its time for me to get the extra memory.  now do I want 8gigs or 16gigs lol

ikon

You can never be too thin or have too much RAM :D

jmwills

8 GB is the only "stable" amount that HP will support.  Have others been able to get 16 to run, yes.

ikon

OK, my last post was a joke. Seriously though, IMHO, it's riskier to use 16GB on an N40L than an N54L. As jmwills says, HP only supports 8GB, but it seems the N54Ls are more tolerant of 16GB of RAM. If I had a real need in a particular situation, I might consider using 16GB in an N54L in a production situation. But, I would want to monitor it pretty closely, particularly the Event Viewer, to see if there are unexpected system reboots, or if there are errors that have any hint of being RAM related. Of course, this would only apply if I was not using WHS2011.

KydDynoMyte

I don't think this applies in your case since you probably aren't using WHS11 as your "base install", but doesn't WHS11 max out at 8GB? I don't see it mentioned much and I almsot got 16gb with my N54L, I would of been upset, glad I got the 8GB ecc instead.