RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Did I just waste money getting a N40L with the Gen8 now coming?

Pancakes

Just got one for $200, is it wasted money?

How do you guys think the power consumption will be with G7 vs G8?

It's not a waste of money if it does what you need it to do.

That's why I bought a G7 instead of a G8.  I needed the extra storage space in the ODD bay and like the PCIex expand-ability

The G8 just didn't meet all my needs.  The fact that I got the G7 at a ridiculously cheap price was a factor too. ;).

Given that the G8 costs more than twice what you paid for a G7, unless the G7 doesn't meet your needs I would say you got a heck of a deal.

with the price of the new g8s, they dont look at a good deal to me.  I would rather get a dell t110 for 500.  Its a bigger box but you get a lot more system for the price of a g8.  Now the g7s are a great price at 230 bucks.  

And I don't know if its just me, but the G8's don't look as nice. And I know people will say it doesn't matter since its a server, but I think it matters

I'm one of those who don't think it particularly matters, but I agree the G8s don't look as good as the G7s. In fact, I posted somewhere in the forums that the first thing I would do if I got a G8 MicroServer is to paint the front grill. It just 'jumps out' too much for me.

Yep spot on. They made it too flashy for a server. I like all my stuff to look plain and buisnessy. Not all shiny and flashy 

I think I would paint it a tone-on-tone black; a very slight pattern, but subtle, very subtle. That, or I would paint it 'shaded', going from black at the bottom to even darker black at the top.

My wife would paint it pink :D