RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server Backup Question

KiwiGlen

ATM, I'm not using encryption, but that's because I consider my home and off site locations to have the same, or similar, security. In fact, if anything, I would consider the off site location to be a little more secure.

That said, I am considering some form of encryption for everything, not just off site backups.

ikon, have you looked at using the built-in windows spanned volumes?  If you created a single spanned volume that went over the drives in the enclosure then you should be able to eject it and it should be readable from any windows based PC?  Its just a thought, haven't tried it myself.  I've been trying to decide how to setup my backups and I would like them in a format that I can access them with standard hardware if I can.

Unfortunately, individual drives from a Windows Spanned Volume are not readable by themselves on another Windows computer. If you move all the drives to another computer, your should be able import the drives in Disk Manager and they would be readable. I want them individually readable.

OK makes sense.

At this point I think I'm looking at two options for my backups.  Like you I'm planning of two sets of disks in an external enclosure.  For the first option I was going to have the individual drives visible in windows and then have a script that runs on the server which finds which drives are attached and executes a backup script on each drive.  The script on each drive then backs up a set list of shares.  The main problem with this option is what if a share gets too large for a single drive.  The second option was to have the drive as a spanned volume and backup all the drives to this single volume.

I'm trying to find a way to this so that if I lost all my hardware at home for some reason I can just access the data directly from the drives without having to purchase some sort of extra hardware that can read the disks.

I use BitLocker Drive Encryption for my Offsite Server Backup. It works well. The only problem is if the disk fills up. I tried deleting everything on the disk but the backups kept failing. You have to remove the disk from Server Backup. Add it back and encrypt it again. Encrypting the disk takes about a day for a 1TB drive. This is on a WHS 2011 not WS2012E machine.

Edited by Technogod

OK makes sense.

At this point I think I'm looking at two options for my backups.  Like you I'm planning of two sets of disks in an external enclosure.  For the first option I was going to have the individual drives visible in windows and then have a script that runs on the server which finds which drives are attached and executes a backup script on each drive.  The script on each drive then backs up a set list of shares.  The main problem with this option is what if a share gets too large for a single drive.  The second option was to have the drive as a spanned volume and backup all the drives to this single volume.

I'm trying to find a way to this so that if I lost all my hardware at home for some reason I can just access the data directly from the drives without having to purchase some sort of extra hardware that can read the disks.

You, sir, are in almost exactly the same place as me. The one difference is that I have 2 EX-503 enclosures, so I have the advantage that both would have to fail for me to not be able to read my data. That said, there is still a vulnerability, albeit a relatively small one.

flexRAID has proven to be very suitable for our purpose in that it has a Stop button that takes the Storage Pool offline and makes it possible to reliably eject the external enclosure. it's one lacking feature is that, ATM, flexRAID only allows for a single Storage Pool. supposedly, a version with multiple Storage Pool capability will be out in a couple of months. I've got my fingers crossed. :)

• 1 month later...

Ikon, a quick question on your backups.  What size is that Pelican case you are using to store the hard drives in?