RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server Backup Question

KiwiGlen

Hi,

I'm looking at getting an external drive enclosure for doing server backups, but before I do that I want to confirm how it would work.

I was looking at getting a 2-3 driver external enclosure that supports JBOD and having a couple of sets of disks.  One set of disks would in at home with the server and the second set would be off-site.  Then every few days or so I would swap them.

My question is would this work?  Would WS2012E track each set of disks as a separate backup set?

And my last question is how do you physically swap the disks?  Do you have to eject them somehow in Windows first?  Or can you just pull them?  I'm looking at either a esata or USB 3 enclosure.

Cheers

Glen

ikon...you're up.  He does this exact process (just not JBOD) with his backups in 2011.

I'm not tied to JBOD, it was just an idea, so if ikon has a different/better way I'm keen to hear it.

He uses a single drive in a docking station that he rotates daily.  I know the search function here isn't that great, but search for ikon backups and I'll bet you find it.

It does allow for backup to an external source but you may have an issue with incremental backups if you do this.  You may be forced into a manual full backup but it will work.

You will have to do some testing on this topic. I read that if you want to add multiple external USB drives for backups then they must ALL be present when you do the setup and again if you make a change. Apparently this has been fixed in R2. 

You will have to do some testing on this topic. I read that if you want to add multiple external USB drives for backups then they must ALL be present when you do the setup and again if you make a change. Apparently this has been fixed in R2. 

This is essentially true and can be a bit of a pain in the butt if you want to make a change and the backup admin console errors out with a less then helpful message. The trick is to make sure that all of your external USB backup devices are attached - but that can be very problematic if you run out of USB ports and/or some of your backup disks are off-site (you do keep at least some disks off-site don't you?)

Now there is a way round it but you need to get your hands dirty with the wbadmin command line instructions.

From an elevated (administrative) command prompt enter

wbadmin get disks

which will list all of the disks which the backup system knows about and then using the information displayed there

wbadmin enable backup -addtarget:<nameofTargetDisk>  or

wbadmin enable backup -removetarget:<nameofTargetDisk>

where name of target disk is the ridiculously long GUID number returned from the get disks command

Actually doing this is a lot less scary than it seems when you see it written down - I'd suggest you google it and see if you can find some examples.

John

ikon a couple of questions on your setup/scripts.  You put two sets of disks in the enclosure, each with a different drive letter.  How have you got the drives in the enclosure setup?  As a JBOD or RAID 0 or something else?  What process do you use to remove the disks?  Do you have to eject them somehow?  Also any reason that you are using USB 3 rather than esata?

Also the extra external drive you have that is for OS backups is that done using the built in server backup or are you using something else? 

I think I'm starting to settle of a method for doing my backups and it starting to look a lot like what you are doing ikon.

Glen

The drive enclosure is a Lian-Li EX-503 and it's set up for JBOD (real JBOD; not the 'spanned' JBOD some companies seem to think is JBOD). The enclosure uses a JMicron controller so I run the JMicron software on the WHS2011 to span the drives into a single volume. I am actively looking for a way to change this so I can pool the drives together as a single volume and still be able to pull any single drive, move it to another Windows computer, and have access to the files. I've tried DrivePool, DriveBender, and PoolHD without success -- each had its own issues but none of them worked. I'm currently looking at flexRAID.

To remove the disks I simply Eject the enclosure using the System Tray tool. This is one of the issues I've had with a couple of the drive pooling programs: they prevent me from ejecting the enclosure.

I use USB3 exactly because it makes ejecting and reconnecting the enclosure simple. eSATA is great, but I found it quite hit and miss for connecting & disconnecting drives. I did use it in the past, before USB3, and I never had any loss of data that I know of, but I feel more comfortable with USB3 since it actually tells me that it's safe to disconnect the enclosure.

Yes, I just use Windows Server Backup to back up the System Drive.