RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Win 8.1 Hyper-V Can't Connect to Internet

awraynor

This is my first Hyper-V install, went fairly well except for one vexing problem.

I have used the Virtual Switch manager as instructed on many tutorials that

I have found on the internet. Nonetheless, the VM won't connect to the internet.

I know this is a question with many possible answers, but are there some more 

likely items I am missing?

Are you using the Hypervisor?  If so, it is probably a driver that is missing on your hardware.  Are you using the internal NIC or did you stick an Intel in the machine?

Also, sometime if you disable the virtual NIC and then enable it, it will reset itself.

I am using the internal NIC. I have been able to install LinuxMint and MythBuntu on VirtualBox and Parallels without

a problem. It's just Win8 on any of them doesn't allow me to have internet connection. 

It sees a MS Hyper-V network adapter within networking on 8.1 that is operating correctly, but tells me there is 

no internet access.

Stuff like this makes me glad I have an old machine for bare metal installs.

Treat the VM as if it is a physical one and run through the usual tests.

Does it have a proper IP on the right subnet?

Can you ping the gateway address?

Can you ping something outside say 8.8.8.8?

Do you have a valid DNS server address?

etc.

Exactly. For the moment, it shouldn't matter if it's a VM; it still has to be able to reach the same destinations as a non-VM machine.

Under network settings for the Win 8.1 VM did you select the external network. You should have created an external network under the virtual switch manager.

By default, all three are there, but like TechnoGod said, make sure you are connected to the External Network.

I went through the steps as outlined in many posts referencing setting up the connection

to the external network. At the moment the connection says it can't obtain an I.P.

address and is searching.

Try setting a static IP address to the NIC.  I've seen this work a few times in the past.  If not, remove the NIC,, reboot and add it back in,