RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 86, What did you think ?

diehard

I do not use an online back up solution, but I have considered it several times in the past.

As far as comments relating to content being or going mostly digital as apposed to physical media, I bring up "Steam" as an example that says digital content "only" works, and is the future. I LOVE Steam for the fact that I can, and have several times now, just download all my games and never worry about "do I have the latest patch, or where did I put that disk."

Instant messaging app/add-in for the local network is an awesome and fun idea I have wanted this for a while now.

BUILD THAT LOW POWER RIG!!! So interseted in that one as well.

Cheers!

For years all my data was on a single drive NAS and I wasn't too worried. Now I use WHS with data dup and I'm not worried. Backing up to the cloud seems fine and all, but for me it would only be for insurance type value. A just in case my home server was stolen, house burnt down type thing. We all have our own level of risk we are willing to assume. I might transfer all my photos over to Skydrive, depending on how easy it is. They are the only thing that really is irreplaceable.

I really liked the lead on Keepvault. I have been using it for a couple of days now and it is great. It also reminded me why we will have hard media for quite awhile as I see how slow it backs up and how long it takes to get the first cut of data to the clould. Great job guys on the podcast, keep it up.

I enjoyed it a lot. Need to make more time for Cloud Storage Services... maybe a part 2?

I am testing out your mention of ASUS WebStorage. Still not sure how I feel about it.

As mentioned in another post I use and have used many online storage options. None for WHS so far, but I am interested. I lost a computer and a whole lot of electronics to a lightning strike, so fire and theft aren't your only concerns. My WHS is on a UPS now, so that will help. I am likely overboard on backup, but you only have to lose your data once. I did have a Frankenbuild die, recovered the files from the drives, but not the backups.

This is kind of an aside, but what about infection on the WHS. Most people are against antivirus on the WHS as long as they have it on their clients. This is somewhat surprising as the detection and clean rates on all antivirus products are less than 100%. I guess it would make more sense to have different products on the WHS than the clients. As in my medical office, a second opinion (antivirus) can be a comforting thing.

For my cloud backup, I'm currently have a split solution...

With the Google promotion and Eye-Fi card I'm using about 45GB of my 200GBs of google Picasaweb storage for all of my full resolution photos and videos (videos appear to be compressed somewhat but I haven't gotten around to looking into that yet)

For all of my other important data including ripped-music (but not ripped commercial videos) I'm using Wuala where I use about 60GB of my 103GB free. I have this 60GB of data set up as "Wuala backup folders" of particular WHS shared folders. The WHS shared folders themselves are backups from my main office PC. I sync the office PC with WHS using a program called GoodSync which is extremely flexible and regularly updated by the dev.

I also have WHS data duplication turned on so I always have 4x copies of any of my personal data available at any time (1 Local PC, 2 on WHS via duplication, and my cloud backup via Google storage or Wuala.

The beaty of something like keepvault is that you do not have to think or do anything manually. You set your server folders that you want to monitor and forget tit is there.

I think you failed to mention that CrashPlan also alows cloud backup. For $54 per year you get unlimited storage for a single machine (e.g. a HomeServer) or for all machines in your house for $100. This is a great service and unlike Mozy/Carbonite etc your upload rate isn't throttled when your storage gets beyond a certain size. There is also no limit on the size of files that can be uploaded. I have tried Mozy, Carbonite and CrashPlan and for me CrashPlan wasby far the best of the 3 in terms of speed and customer support (which was truly dreadful from Carbonite).

Cheers

Alan