RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server but needs to stream media & manage CCTV

4Qman

Hey securityman,

Icon is correct, I'll be recording all 3 cameras at 1080p full resolution.

I am most likely going to use my i7 computer as the server with the 16gb ram.

The issue is the hard drive stutters due to accessing data whilst recording CCTV, I'm focusing most my effort to ensure I don't get this, at the moment I am going to use an ssd for the main operating drive and two WD RED IN RAID 0 with the rocket raid CARD as the record drives.

I would suggest minimum 8gb ram. I have been reading on cctv forums also and this is a collective decision from the help here and from what I see over on those forums.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• jmwills

• ikon

• 4Qman

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ikon,

I will go with a 2TB 7200rpm AV drive, ordering this very moment.

Thanks for the heads up, i know you mentioned it before but i was thinking the WD RED was that kind of drive. On looking at your links i can see the AV is exactly what i need,

I'm glad I posted it in time then :)

Generally, if you were only recording to the drive(s), and had zero need to play back while recording, the Red drives would likely work fine. Trying to do both simultaneously is significantly more demanding.

I have found a 3TB 7200rpm SATA3 6/GBs at a UK Store plus the ROCKET RAID card.  This will enable me to utilize the 6GB/s speeds,

I have a quick question, does the operating system and CCTV software have to be installed on the same drive as the RECORD Drive to ensure smooth playback. Or will it work just as good/better having the OS and CCTV software installed on an SSD and the AV drive purly for record?