RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server but needs to stream media & manage CCTV

Ok Quick update.

I have searched and from what i see using an SSD is not to be used as a write drive for the CCTV.  People are having issues with the life of the SSD, some not surviving 6mths. 

I am going to use the 60GB SSD as my OS drive, Can you help me with deciding a RAID card as i will look to use 2x 2TB in RAID 0 for the CCTV recording.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• 4Qman

• pcdoc

• jmwills

Top Posters In This Topic

I probably would not use an SSD for recording but I would use as the system drive so you can max out performance.  Send your recordings to a dedicated fast spinning drive that is used only for that and you should be OK.

Hi PCdoc,

I am looking at the Raptor Drives so will most likely go with one of those.

Do you have any recommendations for OS, will i manage with what i want to do with Server 2012?

Sorry to hear about the short life of SSDs. It kinda makes sense though, so I agree, use one for the OS but not the video files.

I forgot to ask one question: is the video from the cameras recorded continuously, or is this a system that records only when it detects motion? This can make a huge difference in the amount of video data that has to be recorded. It also matters if the system records Full Motion or Stop Motion video.

I think you should stick with 7200 RPM or faster drives. You may even want to look into the special AV drives that Seagate and WD make. These drives have a 1-1 interleave so no time is lost moving from sector to sector in order to record more info.

Hi,

The cameras will record on on motion detection, once they detect motion they are set to record for an additional 3minutes until the motion is stopped.  I can change this along with a shed load more things in the Blue Iris software.

I will look into the WD AV drives now.

Can you recommend me a RAID card please?

OK, if it's motion detection activated, you disk I/O requirements will be reduced, providing you have the cameras set up properly so they aren't triggered by irrelevant motion such as cars passing by your driveway.

Regarding the RAID card, I personally like 3ware/LSI cards, but there are many members who use RocketRaid 2720 cards and like them. One advantage to the RocketRaid cards is that you can get a lot of support and help for them in these forums.

Hi Ikon,

I am looking at the RocketRaid card and will most likely go with one of them.  I will also look at getting two Raptor 10,000RPM drives and RAID 0 them, thats if i can get them second hand.  Otherwise ill go for two 7200rpm in RAID 0.

Do you think windows 7 is ok to use, do you know of any media center applications that will play Blu Ray ISO's and also search for covers etc.

I don't. Total Media Theatre will play Blu-Rays, but it doesn't really link with WMC that I know of. My Movies links to WMC, and does find covers, but it doesn't play Blu-Rays, at least not that I know of yet. And now that MS has all but announced the end of WMC, I don't expect anyone to spend much time developing apps for it.

Securityman

This is a great topic, since i am new and am basically looking for the same thing.    What resolution are you going to be recording from your CCTV cameras 4Qman?  Also, i want to use the server as a Windows Media Center recording from a SiliconDust HDHomerun network cable tuner.

Anyways I dont want to hijack the thread.

The podcast is great, BTW

- John