RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011, HTPC, and Virtualization Questions

ktide1

Joe_Miner ran some test with a RAID 0 with 2 & 3 drives.  2 Drives were very good but three was amazing.  Now, do you want to spend that kind of money?

My VM's are all on 1 WD Black right now, but I will be moving those over to three VR's 10k RPM drives (3 x 500 gig) in a RAID 0 next month.  If I could justify the cost, I'd put them on 3 x 250 gig SSD's.  Just can't do it right now.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• jmwills

• ikon

• ktide1

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't really justify using the SSD either, I'll probably just use the spare spindle drive I have instead and save the SSD for another machine later.

Then again, I already have the SSD in hand (Samsung 830 series 250GB). Hmmmm, decisions decisions.

Edited by ktide1

Those are just files, so you can move at your leisure.  The only thing you do on a new server is you import from the new location instead of creating new ones.  i.e., you point the wizard to the new file location. 

Gotcha, thanks.  So to summarize, if I want to move the VMs from Drive A to Drive B:

1. Copy the VHD files to Drive B.
  2. Install Drive B in the physical server.
  3. Boot up the server and import the files from the console (or command line).

Correct?

Not quiet.  Start the new VM wizard and point the configuration to the folder.  I don't use the default location for the VM's.  I've never imported any but I know the option is there.

From what I can tell, you would go thru the new install wizard and when you get to the point where it ask to connect to a virtual hard disk, "use an existing virtual disk disk" and point to eh new folder on Drive B.

I like things clean and neat so each one of my VM's is in it's own folder.

One thing to watch for, is if you have IP reservation assigned, the MAC Address is probably going to change when going to a new server.  Sorry I can be no more help than that.  Now, I have done a V2V migration from Hyper-V to ESXi on the fly and that is really something cool to watch.

Ah, OK.  Got it now.

By the way, I just want to say thanks to all of you who have helped me sort through this.  You guys have been great for a newbie like me.