RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011, HTPC, and Virtualization Questions

ktide1

I do not know.....never tried it...thought about it a couple of times.

Well shoot, now I've got to try it.  I won't be able to get it out of my head if I don't give it a shot.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• jmwills

• ikon

• ktide1

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure you can pass a GPU through to a VM. All the ones I've used had their own abstracted GPU, usually not very powerful. Passing HDMI out of a VM to a TV would be an interesting experiment for sure -- I just wouldn't get my hopes too high.

My issue is getting a wireless connection for the Samsung TV.  I know it's capable because of all the Apps on there, but being overseas I have not had much time to fool with it.

Hey guys, just letting you know I haven't given up on this or disappeared, just busy with other things.  I've got the hardware pretty much put together and will start testing some things soon.

By the way, I think I may give Hyper-V a shot first.  After further research, I may run into some hardware compatibility issues with ESXi.  Yes, the setup/management of Hyper-V is tougher, but I've found some 3rd party management tools (both remote and console-based) that may make things easier.  I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes.

Quick question for all of you server guys.  I plan on booting the hypervisor (either Hyper-V or ESXi) from a USB stick and placing my VMs on an SSD.  Any issues with either of these?  Does the SSD give me any real advantages for my scenario?  If not, I've got a small spindle drive I can use for the VM datastore (and the hypervisor too if needed).

One other question:  Has anyone ever played around with XenServer?  If so, how does it compare with the other options for my situation?

Edited by ktide1

I could possibly see the Hyper-V Server, the one with no GUI, running on a USB stick, but I think running Windows Server with the Hyper-V Role from a USB stick would be a mistake.

I stand corrected.  Damn, made it all the way to July this year without a mistake....slipping in my old age.    :lol:

Yes, I'm speaking of the free version, no GUI.  I didn't link it, but there's actually a technet entry from MS on how to do it as well.

What about the SSD for the VMs?  Do you think it will provide any significant advantage for me?

Edited by ktide1