RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011, HTPC, and Virtualization Questions

ktide1

If you want to do it for a learning experience, please do, and report your findings here; would love to read them.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• jmwills

• ikon

• ktide1

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on how you intend to render the content.  Someone's definition of an HTPC may differ from someone else's.

My HTPC is directly connected to the TV and pulls files from the WHS...that's not to say you couldn't virtualize the HTPC, but you would have to connect the TV to the network somehow.

It all depends on how you intend to render the content.  Someone's definition of an HTPC may differ from someone else's.

My HTPC is directly connected to the TV and pulls files from the WHS...that's not to say you couldn't virtualize the HTPC, but you would have to connect the TV to the network somehow.

I think your comment here gets to the heart of my concerns about Vt-d.  Without it, I doid't know if I could get video/audio out on the HDMI reliably (and properly rendered for that matter).  I intend to render my media content exactly like a conventional HTPC - connected directly to the TV using the onboard Intel HD graphics and outputting from the HDMI on the board.  If I definitely can't do that, then there is no need to attempt this, at least the HTPC portion of it.  Are you saying that it is not possible in a virtual environment?