RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011, HTPC, and Virtualization Questions

ktide1

• Client backups
  • An easy to configure and use Remote Access interface
  • Client Restores

Server 2012 is not going to backup your clients or their data.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• jmwills

• ikon

• ktide1

Top Posters In This Topic

• Client backups
  • An easy to configure and use Remote Access interface
  • Client Restores

Server 2012 is not going to backup your clients or their data.

Cool, that's what I thought.

Also, I don't believe WS2012 does media streaming & WHS2011 can.

It doesn't, Essentials obviously does but that's another story

How much is a copy of Server 2012 standard these days anyway?

There is a little-known fact about the licencing for server, if you buy a single copy you are allowed to install it twice, once on the hardware itself, but you can only install the Hyper-V role and then install it again as a VM on that host. The licence key will activate ok and it is perfectly legal as long as you don't do anything else with the host copy.

On the other hand Hyper-V server is free as is ESXi but you may need to jump through hoops to get the remote management working (especially with Hyper-V).

John

Well, I just realized all of this discussion may be moot (at least if I'm understanding things correctly).  My new CPU is the i5-4670k, which does not include Vt-d.  It is my understanding that without Vt-d, I cannot pass through devices for direct use by the VMs.  So if I understand that correctly, my HTPC VM would not be able to use the Hauppauge capture card correctly, nor the onboard accelerated video (and HDMI audio) in XBMC, not to mention any USB devices.  Also, without Vt-d, how would the WHS2011/Flexraid VM deal with the storage disk array?

Is this all correct or am I off-base?

Edited by ktide1

I have to admit I'm not as up on Vt-d and VMs as I might be, but I just want to mention that you always have the option of getting a Vt-d capable i5. You could repurpose your current one, or sell it.

I have to admit I'm not as up on Vt-d and VMs as I might be, but I just want to mention that you always have the option of getting a Vt-d capable i5. You could repurpose your current one, or sell it.

Yeah, I thought about that and I may end up going that route.

Vt-d is not available in any of the K series CPU's, at least not Haswell.

Yep, you are correct and I didn't really have Vt-d in mind when I bought the CPU.

So do you think I am pretty much fighting an uphill battle without a Vt-d capable processor?

Well, for starters the motherboard has 2 Intel NICs, so I had planned to pass one through to the WHS2011 VM and one to the Win7/HTPC VM, then use an add-in NIC card for managing the host.  I also assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that I would run into major issues getting the Hauppauge Colossus capture card to work properly in either VM without passing it through directly.  I also wasn't sure how ESXi would handle the onboard HD video and HDMI audio (I had read on other forums that this might be an issue without passthrough).  I guess in general that I assumed that the emulation from the hypervisor would be a major pain for my HTPC VM especially, but maybe I'm wrong.  I was also concerned about exactly how the storage drives would be handled for the WHS2011 VM (especially since I planned to pool them with Flexraid), but maybe that's not such big deal and I can use raw device mapping to get to them. 

I don't know - part of me wants to just give this a shot just for the learning experience.  Worst case is I wind up back where I started with a dedicated WHS2011 box on steroids.  Comments/thoughts on any of this?  Am I missing something entirely?