RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011, HTPC, and Virtualization Questions

Server Core.....brave soul you are with all your PowerShell skills.

OK, now you're scaring me. Is it really that bad?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ktide1

• ikon

• jmwills

• pcdoc

Top Posters In This Topic

jmwills

To go Server Core.....you're kidding, right?  I beat my head up against the wall for two weeks with a SharePoint FAST Server Search script only to notice the Domain names were different on our three domains.  I'll sacrifice whatever CPU % the GUI wants to have it.

jmwills

It's easier done when you can manage a Core Server from the Console of another server, starting with 2012.  Not saying it is impossible, but unless you are a PS genius, this is time consuming to learn.

Hmmm, OK, I may have to rethink this.  Thanks for the brutal honesty, I really don't know jack about PS to be perfectly honest.

Do you guys still think this is too much to tackle with some of the third party GUI tools out there (Corefig for instance)?

What about something like vShpere/ESXi?

jmwills

vSphere on ESXi is just a platform.  You would still see a PS Prompt to do anything on the server installation.  Tell us what you think "Server Core" is.

never heard of Corefig.

My understanding of Server Core is that it is a minimal, command-line-only version of Windows Server 2012, that acts essentially as a bare metal hypervisor to run VMs.

As for Corefig, I stumbled across this:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithmayer/archive/2013/03/20/managing-free-hyper-v-server-2012-with-a-local-gui-console-tool.aspx#.UdYg8m0Q2bG

and then subsequently this:

http://corefig.codeplex.com/

Looked promising, but maybe I'm too green to understand the implications.

ESXi is a good option.  Longer learning curve than Hyper-V on a server but probably shorter than Hyper-V hypervisor.  Pretty powerful though with a learning curve and everything is controlled via external apps. Some good walk through on TinkerTry.com as that is the platform that Paul uses.

jmwills

But ESXi is not going to solve his issues in wanting to run a Core Server.  The Corefig tool does look interesting  and I will try it this weekend. 

But ESXi is not going to solve his issues in wanting to run a Core Server.  The Corefig tool does look interesting  and I will try it this weekend. 

Hmm, maybe I'm confused.  I thought ESXi is basically VMWare's equivalent of Server Core - that is, basically a bare metal hypervisor?  Am I off base completely?