RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011, HTPC, and Virtualization Questions

jmwills

Me too, I am sticking with Sandy Bridge.  My CPU usage (see specs below) rarely hits 20% with all the stuff I have running.  The only change I might make is trying to find a board that would support 64 gigs of RAM, but at that point it would less expensive to get a Gen 8 Microserver and shift some duties over to it.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ktide1

• ikon

• jmwills

• pcdoc

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes WSE2012 is often around $400, but I've seen ads for it around $250: still not cheap, but quite a bit less than list.

You can use Hyper-V as a hypervisor than build on that to accomplish the same thing and keep using WHS 2011 however 2011 is a bit problematic with EFI and or course the large drive issue which becomes an issue going forward for many.  If you are going to put that much work into something it is certainly worth consider the long term.  Just a thought.

You can use Hyper-V as a hypervisor than build on that to accomplish the same thing and keep using WHS 2011 however 2011 is a bit problematic with EFI and or course the large drive issue which becomes an issue going forward for many.  If you are going to put that much work into something it is certainly worth consider the long term.  Just a thought.

OK, but doesn't Hyper-V prevent passing USB to the VMs?

jmwills

For now it does...R2 will supposedly allows it.  So, is that worth the price of admission?  Only you can answer that.

Buy this WSE2012 now for only $250 and get an upgrade to R2, free of charge. And if you act now, cause we can't do this all day, we'll include USB Passthru -- just pay separate shipping & handling :)

Buy this WSE2012 now for only $250 and get an upgrade to R2, free of charge. And if you act now, cause we can't do this all day, we'll include USB Passthru -- just pay separate shipping & handling :)

Ha Ha! I can't stand that guy!

I think I may give Hyper-V Core a try. The nice thing is I can do it without messing with the old WHS v1 box. I can play around with it and if I bork anything I can just start over.

Though it is supposed to support USB pass through (hardware/motherboard providing) on the full version, I have not heard about whether or not that will be on the hypervisor.  I did not see yet on the essentials version (it may be added by release).  I am going to install Server 2012 R2 to see if that supports USB pass-through.