RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Pancakes

Advantages to a Domain at home?

Pancakes

What are the advantages to having a domain at home? There will probably be around 6 PC's in total and a Server (and only 2 users)

ikon

A Domain allows you to have a single sign-on from any of the client PCs. If you use Roaming Profiles you can have the same user experience on all of them. User IDs given to shares and folders on the server will be accessible to those IDs from any of the client PCs, with those permissions. There are others.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Isn't roaming profiles a bit of a misnomer. For instance, none of your settings or wallpaper or mapped drives, etc are the same on two different machines unless you manually set it up that way.

jmwills

No, you're profile stays as is.  Well, to a point.  The mapped drives that are in your AD profile go with you but how many Filer Servers are you going to have at home?  RP's are a drain on resources so most people opt out of running them.

Just use SharePoint!!!

ikon

"Just use SharePoint!" LOL, I wonder why YOU would say that?!

jmwills

Job Security!!

Pancakes

I'm going to assume there is a backstory here? :P

ikon

jmwills is our own SharePoint expert. He sets it up, manages it, and even trains others on how to use it. He's in Afghanistan right now, doing it for the military I think. I would say he also troubleshoots SharePoint, but he never makes any mistakes setting it up so he doesn't have to troubleshoot. :ph34r: 

Pancakes

Would he jump through my window at night and shoot me if I said i despise sharepoint?

jmwills

I wouldn't say "jump".........