RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Do I really need an SSD?

Pancakes

I just ordered an N40L and considering if I really need an SSD, what benefits will this give to a server? 

Boot-up times wont matter as its always on, power consumption is negligible, and most of the files will be pulled from the 4 x Drives anyway

So why do you guys put an SSD in? 

I used to be in the camp that said no to SSD in the server but I can see picking up a few discounted drives at lower capacity to mirror for the OS.  That's what I'm doing with two laptop 5400 RPM drives. 

If you play around with your server at all the reboot times are awesome on SSD.  Costwise they are growing ever closer.

This all depends on what operating system you will be running.  So which one will you be using?

Ill be using Windows Server 2012 Standard, is the 250GB it comes with a pretty standard drive or is it slower than usual? 

Edited by Pancakes

The answer as to whether to use an SSD is always yes. Do you need an SSD to wash your car -- yes; to change a light bulb -- yes; to cook a steak -- yes :D

Seriously, the main reason to use an SSD as an OS drive is to speed up features of the OS that read from or write to the OS drive, especially those that do it a lot. An example some members have mentioned is launching the DashBoard, which many have said is much faster with an SSD.

I agree with ikon about the SSD, except washing my car, but if you cannot afford an SSD, look for more RAM.  2012 is by nature faster than 2008 but an SSD will certainly help the experience.

Just remember everyone, this is not the final code.  It works great with a VM.....on the other hand...another round of updates were released for 8.1 today.

If I could download the iso over here, I'd switch over to 8.1 NOW!

Good luck with R2.  54L is a nogo on the NIC drivers.  Separate thread.

2012 R2 or 2008 R2?

I assume there is drivers for 2012? HP must be crazy if there isn't. Is there anything wrong with the on-board LAN? Would I be better off getting an Intel card for better speed or reliability?