RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Anyone successfully install Server 2012 R2 Essentials on a Microserver N36L,N40L,N54L ?

diehard

Well I was toying around in DISM today with WS2012r2E and most of the DISM commands are broken with this build.

Unfortunate, but not unexpected.

Basically, I can mount/unmount the boot.wim or install.wim images but all the servicing commands are failing (/Get-Drivers, /Get-Packages, etc.)

This was under a Win7 host with the new ADK installed.

I'll try it under Win8 tomorrow.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment
 Tools>dism /mount-wim /wimfile:C:\testing\Input\source\sources\boot.wim /index:2 /mountdir:C:\testing\Output\mount

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.2.9200.16384

Mounting image
[==========================100.0%==========================]
The operation completed successfully.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment
 Tools>dism /image:C:\testing\Output\mount /get-drivers /format:table

Error: 0xc0000135

An error occurred while attempting to start the servicing process for the image
located at C:\testing\Output\mount.
For more information, review the log file.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Tools>dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:C:\testing\Output\mount /discard

Image File : C:\testing\Input\source\sources\boot.wim
Image Index : 2
Unmounting image

I'll keep plugging away at it.

Ah, there's a new ADK out for Win 8.1 (and Server 2012r2).  That was not easy to find.

Download: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39306

Release notes: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh825613.aspx

My efforts are to find the offending driver built into the 2012r2E .iso and write a script which folks can use to automatically mount/unmount the images and remove/replace the driver, then remaster the .iso.

Assuming of course that Microsoft doesn't fix it first...

• Like 1

Well, I know the AIK (now the ADK) is what I used to use for the X:\Files Edition restore disks to get the LAN working properly. I'd guess that the same should work for the 8.1 ADK....

OK, I installed the ADK 8.1 preview on Windows 8 Pro and here's the output from WS2012r2E .iso

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools>dism /mount-wim /wimfile:C:\testing\Input\source\sources\boot.wim /index:2 /mountdir:C:\testing\Output\mount

Version: 6.3.9431.0

Mounting image

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools>dism /image:C:\testing\Output\mount /get-drivers

Image Version: 6.3.9431.0

Obtaining list of 3rd party drivers from the driver store...

Driver packages listing:

(No drivers found in the image matching the criteria)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools>dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:C:\testing\Output\mount /discard

Image File : C:\testing\Input\source\sources\boot.wim
Image Index : 2
Unmounting image

This is very discouraging. :(

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone once again confirm that Windows Server 2012 Essentials does indeed install with stock NIC, while Server 2012 R2 Essentials needs a 3rd party NIC to pass installation?

If this is the case, would people recommend the former? It's for easy/light home usage as I'd like to try something other than WHS2011 on my microserver.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes Lumos that's correct,

Hopefully this will be corrected by the time R2 is finally RTM'ed in October.

You can also use Small Business Server 2011Essentials or Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials if you want something in the same family as WHS2011 as they are all built on Server 2008 core. Server 2012 Essentials and R2 are based on Windows 8 core.

@Lumos, if you're installing the OS now, why would you want to install R2? It's a pre-release product, not for production use. I didn't get from your post that you're using the MicroServer for experimentation, so I wouldn't install a non-released OS. My 2 cents...

@Lumos, if you're installing the OS now, why would you want to install R2? It's a pre-release product, not for production use. I didn't get from your post that you're using the MicroServer for experimentation, so I wouldn't install a non-released OS. My 2 cents...

It's not for experimentation, correct. I didn't really know how much work needed to be done on release previews before release, though. I guess a lot.

Yes Lumos that's correct,

Hopefully this will be corrected by the time R2 is finally RTM'ed in October.

You can also use Small Business Server 2011Essentials or Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials if you want something in the same family as WHS2011 as they are all built on Server 2008 core. Server 2012 Essentials and R2 are based on Windows 8 core.

Sweet. You know of any problems? How does it handle being only access via RDP? I tried using it in a virtual machine, but to properly navigate, I needed it fullscreen.

There's no fixed standard on how much needs to be done on Previews. For example, the Win7 Previews were very solid from early on. However, that's not true of all of them. It's just safest to wait for the final release before upgrading. Even then, the RTM version will almost certainly have issues. The difference is that, once RTM'd MS is committed to providing an upgrade/fix path, so you won't be faced with having to trash everything and start over.