RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
diehard

Anyone successfully install Server 2012 R2 Essentials on a Microserver N36L,N40L,N54L ?

cosote

Hi,

found a modded version of the latest bios (not verified yet).

Will binary compare first and try to reproduce the AMIBCP patch (if I can ;- ).

Link (in German) http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f101/hp-proliant-n36l-n40l-n54l-microserver-752079-430.html#post21503128

Also posted in "modified bios" thread and will post updates there

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3397-modified-bios-for-microserver-n40l-enables-hidden-features/#entry72904

Cheers,

Jens.

It's working perfect on my N54L :-) (details on modified bios thread)

Tozmo

Do we need to apply the other HP updates (notably the SAS/SATA update for 2012), or do you just need the updated BIOS?  Presumably just the German one since it has the NIC update combined with the AHCI and Port Multiplier reveals?

Trig0r

Possibly looking at either going down the Gen 8/2012SEr2 route or replacing WHS2011 on my N40L, anyone done anything similar?

KazeEnji

Hello All,

I've been trying to follow the thread but the solutions you guys are reporting don't seem to work for me.

I have an N54L and I'm trying to install Server 2012 R2 (not preview). I get the "Getting devices ready" step problem so I went to HP's website for the new BIOS and created a bootable USB drive using their tool. When I run it on my server, i get through the menu but during the installation, the screen starts printing out a bunch of /, ?, and ,'s. Then it says the installation is complete but I still get the error.

I was hoping there might be something someone could upload showing from start to finish on how to get this server working with the integrated NIC to see if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks,

-Kaze-

LoneWolf

Hello All,

I've been trying to follow the thread but the solutions you guys are reporting don't seem to work for me.

I have an N54L and I'm trying to install Server 2012 R2 (not preview). I get the "Getting devices ready" step problem so I went to HP's website for the new BIOS and created a bootable USB drive using their tool. When I run it on my server, i get through the menu but during the installation, the screen starts printing out a bunch of /, ?, and ,'s. Then it says the installation is complete but I still get the error.

I was hoping there might be something someone could upload showing from start to finish on how to get this server working with the integrated NIC to see if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks,

-Kaze-

Old post, but is your BIOS password protected?  If it is, you may wish to remove the password before attempting to update again.

phoenix73

Hi guys

I just get a N54L and was wondering about BIOS mod.

SP64420.exe deployed on USB key and moded O41100113.ROM replace on USB are enough ?

Should I remove Hard Disk before flashing ?

Regards

ikon

I would remove the drive(s).

phoenix73

Thanks.

And about BIOS update, SP64420.exe with moded O41100113.ROM is enough ?

sebus05

Possibly looking at either going down the Gen 8/2012SEr2 route or replacing WHS2011 on my N40L, anyone done anything similar?

N36L works perfectly fine Server 2012 R2 (why bother with Essentials?) with separate Intel nic

G8 works even better (as it is faster machine with proper Xeon processor (CPU replaced on arrival)

sebus

ikon

One reason to go with WSE2012r2 is that it's considerably cheaper than WS2012r2, especially when you take the CALs into account.