RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Anyone successfully install Server 2012 R2 Essentials on a Microserver N36L,N40L,N54L ?

diehard

Guess what? The Windows 8.1 update from the Store hangs at 5% or 17% on my N40L.

So the £7 TPLink card *might* work, but the 1x slot on mine is obscured by the VGA plate for my Asus HD6450 add-in graphics card.

So I can get a £1 DVI-VGA adapter which *might* work on that card...

£8 for something that *might* work because HP and MS are a bunch of clowns. I mean not just failing to adding a driver, not fixing the pre-install compatibility checker and even having the OS installer hang indefinitely because it doesn't know about it? Seriously?

I don't mind having to remove/hack the backing plate of the card because it'd allow me to finally stash my SSD somewhere inside it!

I'm glad other people have already dealt with this stuff, riding on coat-tails is much easier :)

Edited by BikNorton

I wish I had found this forum on Friday! Just spent the whole weekend attempting to get WS2012E R2 on my N40L. I'm guessing there is definitely still no fix for the onboard NIC for the N40L??? 

Can anyone confirm which 3rd party NIC definitely works on N40L with Essentials 2012 R2? Am thinking of Intel EXPI9301CTBLK PRO1000 but kinda object to having to buy anything to get RTM software running on a popular server hardware. 

Grrrrr

Hi wheatism,

haven't tested as I'm still on plain WS2012 on my N54L and tested many different ways even the latest 1.6.0.0.17 broadcom driver with latest firmware... nothing working yet... but check out Joe_Miner's post from Wednesday, August 14, 2013 12:33 PM with good nics:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/161bf5f0-b6d3-4c0c-9beb-b9fb0ea1bc1f/windows-server-2012-fails-on-hp-n54l-microserver#7481e6ff-a34e-4108-b374-f510db108213

MS technet forum doesn't forward the hashmark fragment, so open it again after login...

Latest HP Drivers link found here: http://www.mswhs.com/2013/09/ws2012-essentials-r2-install-on-a-hp-microserver-fixed/

Cheers

I got one of the cheap TPLink cards yesterday but didn't have time to try it. Not sure I'll get chance tonight, it might be thursday.

I assume it will work on server 2012 r2 if it does on 8.1 pro.

Edited by BikNorton

I had time and patience - shut down, fitted the TP-Link TG-3468 v2.0 (minus backing plate), powered on, disabled the built-in chip, saved and rebooted, let Windows 8 do its stuff, upgraded from the Store and now I've got Windows 8.1 Pro on my N40L.

Edited by BikNorton

Glad the TP-Link card worked. Also, pretty much any Intel card should work. I've had very, very little compatibility issues with Intel NICs.

R2 is up and running on my N54L. Had to disable on board NIC like everyone else. Used USB to ethernet dongle for my network connection until my dual port card comes in the mail. See my post at N54L BIOS help

Good luck y'all

Edited by PJW