diehard

Anyone successfully install Server 2012 R2 Essentials on a Microserver N36L,N40L,N54L ?

diehard

I enabled the builtin nic and it booted into windows but immediatly froze.

Ah, I had to boot into safe mode. Then went into Device Manager to change the nic drivers. But without success. I could not find the correct driver even from Broadcom.

jmwills

Has anyone escalated this to either HP or Microsoft?  I don't have a dog in this fight right now.

jpsj

Been reading through this thread and from what I gather with the N40L's on board NIC there is no way to have a working Server 2012 R2 installation?

Anyone made any headway on this at all?  :(

Mr_Smartepants

I'm still waiting for someone to post their log files.

If I get time, I'll bring my production N54L offline and do a test install to get the logs myself.

jpsj

So have just installed Server 2012 R2 Datacenter on my N40L with the on board NIC disabled, I loaded Mr_Smartepants' NIC driver at setup. Booted to desktop OK. Enabled the NIC in BIOS and it's booted to desktop, I can see the NIC in device manager but NIC is showing as disabled in Control panel. When I try and enable it it instantly switches back to disabled state.

Nothing logged in Event logs either.

I'll keep digging.

Edited by jpsj

Mr_Smartepants

Can one of you with a stalled/failed install upload the following files:

\Windows\setup*.log

\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Maybe we can find the cause in there.

So you're saying these logs don't exist on your system?

jpsj

So you're saying these logs don't exist on your system?

I didn't get a failed/stalled install but can still upload the logs if you wish?

rfs830

I just wanted to post that I have windows 2012 server std running on my server.  I did not have to disable my nic.  Just did a clean install and it worked.  I have a N54.  Maybe it has an newer nic card in them?  

Joe_Miner

I just wanted to post that I have windows 2012 server std running on my server.  I did not have to disable my nic.  Just did a clean install and it worked.  I have a N54.  Maybe it has an newer nic card in them?  

Good News!  With or without the Mod-BIOS?

We are talking about Server 2012 R2 Preview?

Edited by Joe_Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• JackoUK
      By JackoUK
      After 2 days and no problems with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update I thought I'd report my conversion experiences.

The upgrade was offered immediately on N36, N54 and Gen8 microservers, which in my case are running Windows 10 Pro.
      I accepted the 'in place' upgrade on 3 of my 4 machines ... with some trepidation since the last upgrade destroyed my shared folder configurations.
      No problems of any sort thus far: only the splash screens for the new features in Edge makes one aware that things have changed.
      'In place' with HDD's for the OS drive is .... very slow ... we're talking hours.

The 2nd of my Gen8 machines stalled mid way through upgrade ...but I don't think that was a server or Windows problem: when I reverted to the old OS version disk errors were reported so I suspect the OS disk is on its way out.
      After repairing bad blocks I tried a clean reinstall. This is much faster (40 minutes) but one has to reinstall programs and reconfigure. Not a problem since this is only a file server, so only shared folders to reset. I'm glad this happened in one way ... good I think to remind oneself of how to handle a rebuild ... since I could not find the B120i driver file ... or indeed any other HP drivers for the Gen8, which should have been in my machine installation archive. Corrected.

The usual sites were reporting that the new version of Onedrive requires manual installation. Worked fine.

Time to explore the new features then.
      I've had it in the back of my mind to try REFS via Storage Spaces for some time. Unfortunately this is another case of NASDAQ:MSFT going backwards for consumers: that option is now removed and only available in the new Windows Pro for Workstations edition. Which I won't be buying.
      To be fair though the upgrade has worked without problems on LINX 1010 tablets and my old DELL PC, SAMSUNG laptop, so my initial reaction is to give MSFT the thumbs up.
      Hope everyone else has good experiences too!
    • Aleksander
      By Aleksander
      Hi guys!
      Trying to configure AlertMail in iLO, but I don't receive a mail. I have installed Debian, need I to configure mail server (postfix) on it?
    • luckyfabian@gmail.com
      By luckyfabian@gmail.com
      Hi all,

I recently obtained a Standard license for 2016 Server and was thinking to run it on a new box. Can somebody please correct me because AFAIK a Standard 2016 license is ok for 2 cores (dual-core) how does this work if I obtain a server with 4 cores? I was looking at HPE Gen10 Proliant but no ILO (as I have a Gen8 VMware box). I am thinking however to get another Gen8 box but could do with your advice please as following...

As my Microserver Gen8 box has 16gb (which I believe is the maximum amount of memory supported? Or somebody could say otherwise) I have Win2012 R2 running on one VM (ESXi v6), I COULD provision another VM for running Win2016 Standard, do you think this would be feasible with 16gb in total on the Server?? Plus with 2016 Standard License I can run two Hyper V VM's (was thinking a Win10 and maybe a Win7 clients) so I was thinking a barebones server (maybe another Gen8 Microserver, not sure about the new HPE Gen10's as no ILO and I want the ILO functionality) or was looking at the ML Gen9 XEON server recently (no ILO but I believe can switch with the onboard AMT) or was just looking at a Fujitsu PRIMERGY TX1310 M1 Xeon E3-1226 V3 16GB 2TB Tower Server, could anyone advise me on these?

I was thinking I could load 2016 on another VM and have 4gb provisioned for 2012 R2 and probably provision the rest of the memory (12gb) for the 2016 Server with 2x Hyper V clients eventually
      Can someone confirm that I could run 2016 as a VM on my Gen8 Microserver or should I go for another server (not sure about the Microserver Gen10 boxes as no ILO) or was looking at the Fujitsu system as mentioned above.

ANY advice would be MOST GREATLY appreciated.

This Server is to practise Group Policy, Power Shell and setting up a Domain and a trial of Office365 to practise Azure AD at home probably over the internal network with a couple of PC's in the house, so nothing heavy.
      Thanks in advance,

Lucky
    • luckyfabian@gmail.com
      By luckyfabian@gmail.com
      Hi all,

I recently obtained a Standard license for 2016 Server and was thinking to run it on a new box. Can somebody please correct me because AFAIK a Standard 2016 license is ok for 2 cores (dual-core) how does this work if I obtain a server with 4 cores? I was looking at HPE Gen10 Proliant but no ILO (as I have a Gen8 VMware box). 

As my Microserver Gen8 box has 16gb (which I believe is the maximum amount of memory supported? Or somebody could say otherwise) I have Win2012 R2 running on one VM (ESXi v6), I COULD provision another VM for running Win2016 Standard, do you think this would be feasible with 16gb in total on the Server?? Plus with 2016 Standard License I can run two Hyper V VM's (was thinking a Win10 and maybe a Win7 clients) so I was thinking a barebones server (maybe another Gen8 Microserver, not sure about the new HPE Gen10's as no ILO and I want the ILO functionality) or was looking at the ML Gen9 XEON server recently (no ILO but I believe can switch with the onboard AMT) or was just looking at a Fujitsu PRIMERGY TX1310 M1 Xeon E3-1226 V3 16GB 2TB Tower Server, could anyone advise me on these?

I was thinking I could load 2016 on another VM and have 4gb provisioned for 2012 R2 and probably provision the rest of the memory (12gb) for the 2016 Server with 2x Hyper V clients eventually
      Can someone confirm that I could run 2016 as a VM on my Gen8 Microserver or should I go for another server (not sure about the Microserver Gen10 boxes as no ILO) or was looking at the Fujitsu system as mentioned above.

ANY advice would be MOST GREATLY appreciated.

This Server is to practise Group Policy, Power Shell and setting up a Domain and a trial of Office365 to practise Azure AD at home probably over the internal network with a couple of PC's in the house, so nothing heavy.
      Thanks in advance,

Lucky
    • Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      By: JohnStutsman

Figure 1 – Preparing to install new 64GB of RAM

I upgrade the stock 8GB to 64GB of RAM in the HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 using 4 DIMMs (“Sticks”) of Kingston KVR21E15D8/16.

Figure 2 – Kingston KVR21E15D8/16

Figure 3 – 64GB RAM about to be installed in HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9

Figure 4 – HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 – System Board Components & Memory “Type” requirement from “QuickSpecs” – DIMMs removal & installation instructions from “Maintenance & Service Guide” (see links in References below)

Figure 5 – HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 – Memory & DDR4 memory population guidelines from “QuickSpecs” (see links in References below)

I upgraded to 64GB of RAM in my HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 using Kingston KVR21E15D8/16 from Newegg. The KVR21E15D8/16 was suggested by Schoondoggy on the forum thread RAM for ML30 Gen9.

Video 1 – 64GB RAM in HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9.

Figure 6 – View of the four new DIMMs installed for 64GB of RAM. Time to replace the air baffle, tower bezel, and side panel then hook up the ML30 Gen9 and see if it works!

Figure 7 – IT WORKS! Screen during first post showing 64GB RAM - for the first time!  Thank you Schoondoggy!!

Figure 8 – System Summary Information showing 64GB RAM installed

Figure 9 – System Information with Installed Physical Memory (64GB RAM) Highlighted

Figure 10 – Task Manager showing 64GB of DDR4.

Figure 11 – iLO4 System Information – Memory Information showing four 16GB DIMMs installed.  Status is "Good, In Use".

Figure 12 – Temperatures appear well within range while system fan speed was a consistent 6% - BIOS set to Optimal Cooling (Note that the two 40mm fans in the Icy Dock ToughArmor MB994SP-4SB-1 were also running).

Figure 13 – HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 running with 64GB RAM and using 30.1 Watts. Everything seems to be working well – time to think about adding more drives and turn on Hyper-V!!

As-Built (I named my Computer: Serenity)
      HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 (Product No. 830893) Xeon E3-1240v5 (SkyLake LGA 1151) 64GB ECC RAM – Kingston KVR21E15D8/16 OS: Windows 10 Pro B140i Dynamic Smart Array: Ports 1-4: (4*3.5” Drive Tray Caddies for Main Drive-Cage Assembly Bays 1-4) B140i Dynamic Smart Array: Ports 5-6: Icy Dock MB994SP-4SB-1 in Top 5.25” half-height Bay; with/ 2*18” SATA III (6 Gb/s) cables attached to Bays 1 & 2 (Bays 3 & 4 are available for future); Molex to Molex & Fan Y-Connector Cable; Samsung 840 Pro 256GB in Bay 1;  

Please join us in the HomeServerShow Forums to discuss this and tell us what you are building at home.

Reference:

RAM for ML30 Gen9 http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14807-ram-for-ml30-gen9/

ValueRAM Decoder https://www.kingston.com/us/memory/valueram/valueram_decoder

ValueRAM KVR21E15D8/16 Specs Sheet http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR21E15D8_16.pdf

Check HSS Forum Post: Other HSS ML30 Blog Postings: http://homeservershow.com/tag/ML30

HomeServerShow Forum for ML10’s & ML30’s http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/forum/98-ml10-and-ml10v2/

HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 Server Maintenance & Service Guide http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c04905980-1.pdf

HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 Server QuickSpecs http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04834998&doctype=quickspecs&doclang=EN_US&searchquery=&cc=us&lc=en