RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Anyone successfully install Server 2012 R2 Essentials on a Microserver N36L,N40L,N54L ?

diehard

Has anyone been able to successfully install Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials onto a HP Microserver ?

I've tried a standard install but it keeps hanging. Circle of dots go round and round. If I disable the NIC (network adapter card) in the BIOS called Embedded NIC ( or something) then the install continues. However even though I get to a desktop in the end, I cannot complete the install because Server Manager opens up to complete the NIC install which it doesn't find.

Looks like installation is different for R2 than before because Server Manager takes over the install instead of ... to be continued.

I did try installing the OS on an other PC and then move the drive to the Microserver, no luck.

I was able to get the nic drivers installed by adding the drivers to the Windows/system32/drivers folder and it installed. However once the server was running, I was not able to get the nic configured to go online.

UPDATE: I ended up buying a TP-LINK TG-3468 Gigabit PCI Express Network Adapter. It was $18. A tiny card with a 1/2 height back plate.

So therefor with the built in nic disabled, and R2 Essentials fully installed, I powered down and added the nic card. No stall on boot up. I did upgrade the drivers in Device Manager from a USB thumb drive.

I WILL UPDATE THIS POST.

See Joe Miner's post #54 with some images of the BIOS screen.

UPDATE, November 23rd. HP releases firmware update to fix this issue

Sounds just like an ESXi install that doesn't like the NIC. I believe the alternate NIC is a good idea.

I had the same problem initially.

I downloaded the driver from HP and put it in the $WinPEDriver$ folder at the root of the USB installer drive.

If the link below gets ripped up by the forum software, the filename is cp019270.exe.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=4310887&spf_p.tpst=swdMain&spf_p.prp_swdMain=wsrp-navigationalState%3Didx%253D%257CswItem%253DMTX_138a4027261540ee83265cf73e%257CswEnvOID%253D4139%257CitemLocale%253D%257CswLang%253D%257Cmode%253D%257Caction%253DdriverDocument&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

I have a $WinPEDriver$ folder with all the drivers needed for EX490 through N54L (WHS2011 - S2012E) I can upload for you.  It's 110MB compressed though.

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

Yes, I have S2012E running perfectly fine on my N54L.

Let me thin it out a bit and I'll upload it to mediafire (I don't use dropbox).

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

Try a secondary Intel NIC and see what happens.  Odd that it had no problems installing in a VM.

OK, here's a slimmed version of the $WinPEDriver$ folder I used to install S2012E onto my N54L with no problems.  It also includes the drivers for WHS2011 on the EX490 series.

I slimmed it down to about 20MB by removing the installer .exe's and other cruft not needed during setup.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/vfuan487dybq341/EX490-N54L-drivers2.7z

• Like 1

No problem.  I've gleaned much more info from these forums than I can contribute, so I give what I can.

Incidentally, for those of you interested in injecting drivers/updates into the .wim files themselves, I have some batch files which will handle that for you here:

http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=5199

The important one (which is over a year old) is at the bottom of the first post.  It adapts to the .iso being used.

The benefit is you don't have to download 200+ updates from Windows Update during post-install cleanup.

• Like 1