RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hardware Interrupts - consuming one core(dual core AMD system)

stalni

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stalni

• analog

• pcdoc

• mrossco

Top Posters In This Topic

It states that you are using an ST-lab 224 which is a 4 channel SATA card. I assume that you are using that card for your raid. Where are the pool drives plugged in to? Are you using the other ports in the card? Also since this is a pci card, which slot are you plugged into. PCI controller cards can be picky with older systems. If you can, move the storage pool to the motherborad controllers. IRQ problem do not occur from drives themselves but rather the drive controller. My guess is that you have a problem with a controller controller configuration, or controller drivers.

My system is running on a amd 740g, so I have 6 drives attached to the buildtin storage controller in sb710 southbridge and 2 drives plug into my raid controller.

My system specs are:
amd athlon 64 x2 5000+
2x1gb ddr2 pc-6400
gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2H(can't remember revision)
10xHDD, 2x500 GB WD(raid array drives), 1x400 GB wd RE2(on raid controller as pass-through), 4x1 TB WD GP, 1x750 GB samsung spinpoint(on raid controller as pass-through), 1x1,5 TB samsung ecogreen, 1x250 GB WD scorpio.
plazir psu 400 W

I can not see the hardware interrupt until the following configuration:
2x500 GB WD(raid array drives)
1x400 GB wd RE2(on raid controller as pass-through)
1x250 GB WD

and with all but two, the one wd 1 TB GP drive that caused the hardware interrupts and the samsung spinpoint f1. This drive I have tried attached to sata port 0 on my south bridge storage controller, and tried it attached to the raid controller as pass through.

The raid controller is attached to pci port 2 on my motherboard, and there is an old broadcom 100 Mb/s nic on pci port 1, the pci-e X16 and pci-e X1 are empty.

I should also mention that one of my drives was not detected after my reconfiguration, when I replaced my system drive, this was resolved by changing the sata cable.

Have not upgraded bios in a year or more, whould you think this might resolve the issue, if there is an update? I am thinking it might, but than it might cause other issues however unlikely that is.

Thanks for your replies again.

My WHS is now saying that the WD 1 TB GP drive is failing, and that it needs to do a repair(which I have than started)

just in case that tells you anything.

When I look in the event viewer I see that windows says the drive(WD 1 TB GP) has bad blocks.

so I am going to test the drive with WD diagnostics, extended run and se what it finds.

I was thinking that the bad block error could not be caused by the storage controller acting up?

My bet is that the drive is bad. I have seen this behavior (eratic drive, failing notice, repair notice, repair failure) before and the result was a bad disk or head. The "failed repair" also removed the drive from the pool and added the disk space to the system resources in the pie chart.

It does appear that one of your drives is bad or does not like that controller. I still feel the main issue is in that raid controller card. I would get a different controller or What if you just ran withour Raid?

By the way, you keep mentioning Interrupt issues but if that is the case then it is definetly the controller as that has the actual interrupt.