RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backup Using USB? - Wireless is slooooow

TerryDarc

I've got a two drive (1 TB original plus a new 2 TB) WHS probably 3 years old, 3 USB ports, a ATA or SATA port, connection to my router and it works ok. When I back up my est. 500GB of photos, it takes maybe 20 hours.

Seems to me I ought to be able to use one of the USB ports and transfer more quickly. Is this possible? If so, how? I don't see anything in the WHS console that indicates a different path for the backup.

I'm a little unclear: what are you backing up from (a client PC??), and what are you backing up to (WHS Client Backups) currently?

You can connect the USB drive to the server and use a UNC path (map a shared folder) to directly copy the files to the drive.

Sorry, if I was unclear.

@ikon -  I have a Dell laptop connected via wifi to a WHS. The laptop contains beaucoup photos which I wish to back up to the WHS by way of a USB cable instead of the wifi - should be faster.

@HSS Genius - thanks. This is a Dell laptop -> WHS, not a USB drive to WHS. I want files to go from computer (Dell laptop) to computer (WHS) by way of USB port on my laptop to the USB port on the back of my WHS. I have a Belkin computer to computer cable if that helps.

Edited by TerryDarc

I would point out that it will likely take 20 hours only once. Each WHS Client Backup is incremental to the ones that came before. After the photos are backed up, only photos that have been added or changed would get backed up again.

I'm pretty naive about how this is supposed to work, but I've backed this computer up before. I didn't/don't know about how to specify an incremental backup - I just thought WHS would know that this was an incremental, which it was.

But you're right - that the full backup which I had to do not too long ago, was about this same speed.

If you know, how does WHS know that it's a full backup or an incremental anyway?

It's not a true incremental backup, the second backup appends the original.  Since these are photos, I'd backup using WHS and then also have a second copy to the USB drive connected to the server.

We can show you how to write a easy script to handle this automatically, provide we get some details like drive names (Letters), etc.

WHS does know what has been backed up and what hasn't. When you say "this same speed" do you mean that 2nd, 3rd, or subsequent backups are as slow as the full backup (by speed I presume you mean it took as long) ?

When I am backing up laptops I plug them into a Ethernet port and turn off their wireless.

All of my network ports are Gigabit as are all of my laptops.

Do you have a spare port on your router and does it have Gigabit Ethernet?

If you are not sure, post some part numbers.

Yes, I've got 3 ethernet connections on the back of my Linksys (plain vanilla, not super high speed) router.

Getting back to the original question, however: I take it that no one knows how to transfer FROM laptop TO WHS via a USB cable, even one designed for computer to computer transfer.

Happy forth, all!