RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Adding second file server to WS2012E domain

Jason

Is it possible to add a second file server to an existing domain but control the permissions via the WS2012E dashboard?

I have a Win8 box with a 8 TB RAID5 array for additional storage. Hardware was collecting dust and needed a 2nd box to move data around when rebuilding arrays.

Add a second server certainly but I doubt you could control it via the dashboard. Server manager probably could do it for you though.

John

I believe that Storage Server 2008R2 Essentials  will do that.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2010/11/08/announcing-windows-storage-server-2008-r2-essentials.aspx

Active Directory join capability enables Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials to easily integrate into existing infrastructure and networks.

I was able to add it to SBS2011Essentials. Not sure how it works with 2012E

When I add the new machine (Win8) via Server Manager, it says In progress then Target Computer Could Not be accessed. Is this because it isn't a server OS?

Server manages "Server OS's".  Are you trying to add the client (Win8 to the Doamin?  If so, either do it thru the Dashboard or thru Active Directory.

And don't forget, your Win8 needs to be at least the Pro version to be able to join a Domain. This is still true, right guys?